586,106 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

dxf import into Alphacam

Hi,
    I am a new user. We just recently purchased Alphacam 2012. We currently use Microvellum and intend to produce nest drawings with Microvellum, convert to .dxf, import into Alphacam, apply machining, and produce a library of parts that can be called up and cut by the operator in short order.

I currently have a nest drawing imported into Alphacam as a .dxf. I have removed unnecessary items and have clean polylines. My manual says nothing about how to accomplish this. Can anyone provide some guidance on how to proceed?

Any help would be appreciated here.

Question A little more info

I might be able to help. Give us a little more info on whats going wrong with your imported lines.

I used AC a little over a year ago, so I'm rusty on exact terms and menu options. However, importing and converting dxf files into usable geometery lines is all I did for years.

Green lines are what you want. They can be tool pathed. A DXF file can be properly created and exported can import into AC as machinable green geometery lines. It took some work to get the designers to produce directly importable DXF files, but it saved me the conversion step. (which was easy anyway)

Some curves never imported directly and had to go through spline conversion, to geometry. They showed up as brown lines. Joining lines into closed shapes is a big deal also.

AC's nesting feature is powerful. I prefered to import and program each part first. Then I would create a nested file bringing in my pre-toolpathed parts. I used the nesting feature in other ways too. But I most frequently practised what is stated above.

I haven't seen all the CAM programs out there. And AC has some funky stuff that I never liked or got used to(tech supports call back policy). But in general it ran circles around other customers / competitors programs. Keep in mind this was panel processing, woodshop work.

Thank you. Actually, I am lust looking for any general knowledge on this, and basic cookbook instructions from someone (like yourself) who has done this before. From your description it looks like I should be ready to add machining. All of the geometry is green. Any other advice?

In addition.

In addition, we are also performing panel processing for frameless institutional cabinetry. Looks like you would be a good resource. Thank you for your response.

Question What does your Simulation show?

Does your simulation show your toolpath working?

Dive in and try a whole bunch of stuff. Your gonna get confused and angry, then feel rewarded as you find solutions.

I need some info from your trial and error process.

Don't start your AC experience with imported Dxf files. Draw from scratch very simple things. Learn that way. See what AC likes and doesn't like. It felt very similar to AutoCad 2009 for me. At least the commands and keys.

Where are you located? What machine are you gonna cut these files with?

I have not applied toolpathing yet so I as I understand it I am not at the point where I can run a simulation. I will get back with you as soon as I have something on this.
    I did receive a 3 day training course where we completed several exercizes. We are starting the process by creating the library of parts from a nest of parts produced by Microvellum since we have it on line and it is able to create the nests from our current process. Later down the road we will be using Alphacam to create custom parts.
    We are located in Davenport Iowa. How about you?
    We will be using an Onsrud 241G18D with a moving gantry.

Good Luck

I'm in San Diego. I used a Onsrud 144G10 with a drill block. Delta Tau controls.

Check out Vortex tools. My main workhorse was a 3/8" extreme performance compression spiral mortisse edition. Best tool ever.

It sounds like your just getting started. Best of Luck.

I am a new user. We just recently purchased Alphacam 2012.
    Purchase some more advanced training. Seriously. Someone can show you more in an hour than you can learn on your own in a month.

I use AlphaCAM 7, so don't know how much has been added since then. I use a .dxf batch import utility we got from SCM.
    I point it to a folder, and it loads all the .dxf's, nests them, and creates toolpaths in about a minute or two.

Are you trying to bring in a .dxf of nested parts, and then break it into individual parts?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

SF: thanks. I passed the tool info on.
    ger21: Can you direct me to a site with info on the import utility that you mentioned? I googled, but not coming up with it.
    Yes, I am importing nested items from Microvellum. From there I will be saving as individual parts and also nests containing all parts necessary to build a single cabinet. That is the plan as it exists now.
    Thanks for your input.

It used to be on SCM North Americas website, but they re did their site and it's not there now.
    AlphaCAM has similar functionality built into it. I think it's called CAD to CAM.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)