586,055 active members*
4,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Need help with FLA-100 Gantry y-axis

Question Need help with FLA-100 Gantry y-axis

I cannot get the z-axis centered on the y-axis threaded rod, which results in all manner of binding, grinding and cursing.

I know there's some incredibly simple method/technique so what's the best way to do this?

Thanks.

I don't know details about that machine, but I can tell you that it's usually a good idea to move the Z axis closer to the side you're adjusting (if bearings/mounts are adjustable). Also make sure your rod is straight.

Hope it's of any help.

I'm not understanding your problem. Are you having trouble aligning Z so that it's perpendicular to Y? Are you having trouble getting the Y screw parallel to the table?

What is binding? The Y Leadnut?

How 'bout a picture with a pointer to the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by brtech View Post
    I'm not understanding your problem. Are you having trouble aligning Z so that it's perpendicular to Y? Are you having trouble getting the Y screw parallel to the table?

What is binding? The Y Leadnut?

How 'bout a picture with a pointer to the problem?
    Now that I reread my post, let me try this again...

I'm talking about the y carriage and the Y leadnut, I need to get it centered between the upper and lower carriages. And since you can't get to the leadnut after the the carriage is on the rail it seems it has to be perfectly centered before you install the carriage on the rail.

You can't get an L hex wrench in there? Try this:

Loosen up the nut so it can slide around a bit. Loosen up all but 4 nuts holding the
    Y rail to the gantry. Take off the Z but leave the carriages, the nut and the extrusion on.
    Rotate the Y screw by hand: the nut will move to the right position. Position Y to the far left, near the far bearing block. Take off the far end bearing block. Loosen up the near end motor mount and the rail nuts so you can slide the whole screw assembly, rail and Z far enough to the left so you can get to the lead nut screws to tighten them.

Quote Originally Posted by sports.racer View Post
    I cannot get the z-axis centered on the y-axis threaded rod, which results in all manner of binding, grinding and cursing.

I know there's some incredibly simple method/technique so what's the best way to do this?

Thanks.
    I'm at that point on mine now. How did you finally manage to get the lead nut centered and tightened I can't fit an allen wrench in there.

Thanks
    Rich

Drill 2 holes through the 8020 and crs plate large enough to fit an allen key through. and go at them from behind the gantry