586,096 active members*
3,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutter-- for G10 .093" thick

GUys,

I have about 5 to 8K for a Laser. I wonder with this budget, can I source a laser powerful enough to cut .093" thick G10 material with good tolerance? I

I know this might mean, Chinese Laser. But is there any good ones made in China that is up for the job? Or any US base company that have lease programs?

I have my own CNC machine. But if I can use a laser to do the job, it save me a lot of time.

I used a small 60W laser to cut some wood and I love the work flow. Hope I can use it for the G10

Also this is the Chinese Laser Machine that I would like to buy. Anyone know if it's up for the Job and if it's reliable?

http://salecnc.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=104

I have cut some very thin (0.5mm or so) fiberglass/epoxy laminate with a 100W Coherent laser. At full power I was going quite slow to get through it.

All the glass fibers in there are blocking the beam. I doubt ANY laser you can buy from China would cut that and you surely can't afford one US made that will, if it is even possible it would take a ton of power and the phenolic would probably be cooked out. Waterjet would be the closest thing but they are wayyy too expensive. That is why most everyone is still using rotary cutting tools to machine it. Also laser cutting gives you charred edges (carbon) which is conductive. Since a large amount of G10 type composites are used in electrical gear, you could see how that might be an issue.

Matt

I am using CNC to cut it now. But just requires so much setup time and clean up time

I am looking for a more efficient way to make these parts. I have gotten a quote at a laser shop and they did tests. And it was able to cut. But that machine was capable of 4,500W and I don't know what power setting he was at. I am able to buy almost 2 of these chinese machine at 20 copies of my parts.

I don't mind if they can cut it with 2 passes.

There also a company call Jcut. Between the 2, which one makes better machines and more reliable?

I also find FULL spectrum Laser, which have reasonable prices. How is it compare to the Chinese brands in quality?

Hi, Jascamera,

Frankly speaking, Chinese laser can't do well in cutting glass, maybe also have difficulty in G10 material. But a test on the machine will be a good way. Will discuss with our technican and let you know the answer.

Melody
    [email protected]

Thanks melody. Would like to hear what you find. Thanks.

Like I said, you can't afford a 4500W laser.

The biggest Chinese tube I am aware of is something like 180W. I am sure your laser shop was using more than that.

Good Luck
    Matt

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtsL2brMVlA]Laser Cutting G10-FR4 Garolite - YouTube[/ame]

Matt, Thanks

For sure, I can't afford the 4500w laser, he told was 1 million 4 years ago and capable of cutting 1/2 steel.

I saw that video before. I am hope maybe a 150W laser with 2 passes might do the job. As that's what I am doing with my CNC router. 2 passes.

But there are obvious reasons not many people cutting G10s with laser. It also smokes a lot. Tough decision, but I will try to educate my self and try to make the best decision.

Hi, Jascamera,

Our technican has just replied. G10 is different from glass. Our laser can cut, but very thin..about 1mm/ 80W . As for your material--2.5 mm, we are not sure, if you have interest, please send a small piece to us, we can try on our machine and can take video for you.

Melody
    [email protected]

I have tried several types of fiberglas/epoxy.. Ok, i went through it with my 60W laser but i realy didn't like the burned edges.. The burned edges went up to 1.5 mm into the material with carbonfibre/epoxy..
    I prefer milling it with a 1/16" two-flute carbide mill at 500mm/min 1mm passes

You won't get accuracy with the CO2 laser... Maybe with other wavelengths but then you won't have one for your budget..

Kees

I currently router my G10 and works well. But requires a lot of time clapping and hold and cleaning tabs of afterward.

I am hope I can cut G10 with laser and not have to do all the other extra steps. I cut on Black G10, so charring is not as apparent. I am planning to do maybe 2 passes, but faster runs, so less heat and less burning I hope.

Main concern is that it will be able to cut. I tested in a laser shop and they are using CO laser also but they have up to 4,500W. I can live with the cut quality, if I can achieve similar.

Jason

Jason

I machine a few PCB boards and I always use a good quality double stick tape. If you have the table and your material clean, it will not move during machining. If you hit the board with a hair dryer or heat gun for a few seconds, the adhesive softens and you can lift the part right off with a putty knife or razor blade. I've cut parts smaller than 1 sq in and they held fine, machining about .035" deep with 1/8" carbide endmill.

Matt

Matt,

I never tried double size tape. People say carpet tape works well. I tried that once, but seem very expensive to use carpet tape and take a while to cover the G10 sheet with tape.

I spray adhesive the G10 and stack 2 sheet and cut .08" per pass with a 3/32 bit.

It worked for me, but it takes a lot of time and that's why I was going to have a machine shop machine it for me. At first they told me their vacuum system can hold it down the small parts, then later told me that the parts will need taps, which mean a lot of clean up after I get them. And I figure it's no different that machining them my self.

Then I when to a laser shop and quote was twice the cost of the CNC shop, then I just thought to my self, if I can get a laser machine with the amount that I am quoted. I would be pretty happy. As I would be able to use it for other things and jobs.

You don't need to cover all the back with tape... just a few strips is sufficient.
    When you tape it to a board of scrapwood you can fix this board to your tabel and hammer a few small nails just outside your G10-plate.. Together wit the tape it will not move for sure..
    If you figure out the right sequence you mill the parts and where the vectors start, you will have no problem at all. Your parts come out clean and fast..

Kees