586,268 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cad/cam for mac/sherline.

I'm looking for some cad/cam software that'll run comfortably on a mac and will output suitable gcode for a sherline running EMC2... I'm new to CNC so I'm not real knowleadgable about terms, etc. I just need some suggestions, price wise I'd prefer not to have to spend 3k. I'm really hoping to get mac but if theres just no even remotely cost effective option I'll stick with PC. Really prefer not to though.

I can't bring to mind any CAM software that will run on a Mac, but ViaCAD and its big brother Shark both have native versions.

If you're running LinuxCNC (EMC2), then you might be interested to know that CamBam has recently been ported to run on Linux.

I run PC versions of ViaCAD and CamBam and they work great together and on their own - very good value indeed.

Martin.

(Coming from a very loyal Mac user since the Apple II) I would suggest that you keep your mind open about using Windows. You can run it on your mac via BootCamp, Parallels etc.

Ashlar Vellum has native mac programs that you can rent by the month. They have some great features but are very buggy.

Ashlar Vellum and Shark have a common origin. I can't remember the details, but I believe the developers broke off and created the second company. Lawsuits ensued.

Support seems to be not so good from either company.
    Patrick Brewster

Quote Originally Posted by patriqq View Post
    (Coming from a very loyal Mac user since the Apple II) I would suggest that you keep your mind open about using Windows. You can run it on your mac via BootCamp, Parallels etc.

Ashlar Vellum has native mac programs that you can rent by the month. They have some great features but are very buggy.

Ashlar Vellum and Shark have a common origin. I can't remember the details, but I believe the developers broke off and created the second company. Lawsuits ensued.

Support seems to be not so good from either company.
    If you're saying that support from the developer of ViaCAD/Shark is not good, then I must say that is simply not true. The same goes for the user forum - it's got some very helpful people there

Martin.

I've given up on the MAC idea, too few options for me to learn on. I've got plenty of windows boxes laying around, many of them decently appointed so I should be able to run any cad on it. Just have to find a good package now. thanks for the help fellows, you've been real peaches

UG now supports Mac OS but you are talking high end software.
    As for just any windows computer laying around running cad you will find issues for any decent software as you need a decent computer above the normal to run cad well.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .