586,094 active members*
3,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Building the Ultimate CNC Plasma/Router

I just finished refurbishing a Varnamo (NOS) Swedish CNC knee mill. The original 5.5 hp spindle and horizontal motors were still mounted but the tape drive computer, servos etc had all been removed. I replaced these with all Ajax CNC servos and controller/encoders which runs on Linux. I set up the computer so that it runs as a regular PC so I can use BOBCCAM 20 and BOBART ProX with a scanner, then push in the drive and the computer becomes a Linux system for the G code. The combined Ajax Linux/PC BobCAD system works beautifully. Now I am building a CNC Pasma/Router combo on a 5x10 frame. I plan to use 80/20 components for the frame since I will eventually have to move the table and it will be easier to break down than moving a one piece welded one. I also like the ability to modify the design as I go along and the 80/20 seems to offer a lot of flexibilty to change the design during the build.
    I do like the accuracy of servos and the abilty in the Ajax contollers to start, stop and modify any line of g code during the cut. If I stayed with the AJAX controller, is there a torch height controller that would work with this system? Most of the torch height controllers I've seen only work on Mach 2 software and utilize the PC as the controller. I was wondering about the accuracy of a dedicated controller vs pc as the controller, servos vs steppers, and using ballscrews on Y and Z axis vs rack and pinion. What would give the greatest accuracy on a 10 ft X axis? If you were to build your ultimate CNC Plasma/Router, what components would you use if cost wasn't an issue? Thanks!

UtaNorton,

There are comercial THC units most cost around $2000.00 or more. I think Torchmate has a stand alone unit also. A google search for "THC" should turn up some. The THC300 or new THC1000 and Mach2 combination is a really nice package though.

I would think about it and decide if you would use the machine for plasma or router. I built a combo machine a few years ago with mostly plasma in mind. I now find changing back and forth from plasma to a router to be to much of a pain and am building a dedicated router table. There are also usually compromises you make when building a combo machine verses a dedicated machine. For my machine now that I am only useing it for Plasma I will some day rebuild the gantry.

As far as machine control for that size of a table. For plasma you definatly want rack and pinion or belts on the x and y axis. The z axis could be a screw. If router I would still go with either rack or belt. For a table that size ball screws would get pretty expensive and most likely would not be needed for the size stuff you would be cutting on a 5 X 10 machine.

One thing people sometimes dont' relize is just how messy plasma is. You really need to have the machine in its own room with a fan blowing the dust out.

Jeff T.

Here's a complete system for Mach3. http://www.candcnc.com/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So if I am using the THC 1000 and Mach 3, does someone have a source for
    servo motors/encoders that would run on Gecko or other drives that are not made
    in China? I also found a company that will make 10 ft 26 tpi racks with machined offset
    and mounting holes for a reasonable price so they will bolt flat against an 80/20
    frame and support bracket will not have to be welded to rack.

Thanks,

Tom

Gear racks

Sir,

I would be interested in the name of the company which makes the gear rack.
    You could email me at jccinc AT owc DOT net

Thanks,
    Jack C.

Jack,

As soon as I get the final pricing (hopefully tomorrow) I'll post a link and the cost.

Cheers,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by utahnorton
    Jack,

As soon as I get the final pricing (hopefully tomorrow) I'll post a link and the cost.

Cheers,

Tom
    Did you ever post the link or price for a gear like this? I have been looking for some like these for a month now to build my table. Any help would be greatly appreciated.