586,094 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unusual activity in laser tube

Hello,

I own an M500 (had problems with it ever since it arrived, actually it arrived not working at all, had to pay around £750 to get it repaired by a company in the UK) Redsail have possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Anyway, I still have it and have been using it quite successfully...until I noticed that strange things were happening with the laser inside the tube...

and now it doesnt cut, just lasers barely visable lines onto the material...

instead of the purple beam being central and focused down the middle, the light is very weak. Instead, the bright purple beam goes down the side of the tube, outside the water cooled area and appears to flare and move over the top of the water cooled glass spiral as if it was a plasma ball or something.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? (images below, hope they load)

Thanks

ouch.,...

Yes..I know this problem. The images helped to recognize the problem immediately. Thanks.

The glass laser tube has burned a hole from the inner glass tube to the outer path. Normally, the laser tube is built to have a spiral tube around the inner tubes. this spiral causes a much longer electrical path from anode to cathode(red and black probe tips of the laser tube). If the laser tube is cracked at the spiral, or high temperatures allowed the arc to burn through the glass, then another short electrical path can be found. The new secondary path goes around the outside of the center tube.

In the end... you need a new laser tube. This one is damaged beyond repair.

You can buy the laser tube from Red Sail .. or any other resource in China.. I recommend my girl July Lee from JQ Laser. [email protected] .. Tell her that Ray sent you.. get a better price?

Make sure to tell her the important facts..
    1. the length of the laser tube
    2. The diameter of the laser tube
    3. the expected wattage.

fast plug for my company..
    We sell laser machines to the USA. Check out our web site.

Ray Scott
    Owner / Engineer
    Rabbit Laser USA
    513-217-5707

Thanks for letting me know Ray and providing help for the next step.

The annoying thing is, ive only been using the machine for 4 days and a job would never last more than 15 minutes at a time, once a day. The cooling equipment provided by Redsail is obviously useless! It'll be an industrial chiller next time I think. By the time I pay out for all these repairs, I might have just got one from a company such as Rabbit laser or even epilog!

Now just the waiting game for a reply from redsail is in order first.

Maybe the tube was damaged during shipping? Is it a standard tube or a Reci?

When it arrived not working at all, I had it checked out by a company in the UK and they said the power supply wasnt working but the tube was, then when I finally use it in working order for a few days this happens :tired:
    Its a standard tube.

Redsail have emailed me and told me that the tube is now out of warrenty and it is against company policy to send me one and for them to pay for everything.

What an awesome company.

Redsail lasers

I had a similar experience with redsail, except they send me a new tube, but i had to pay the shipping. It came to my attention that they might use tubes that have been sitting in the warehouse for months. Mine was already a year old when i received the machine ...i mean really a year already ...when i told them this , they also had some story, but eventually agreed to send another. The new tube is fine, but my driver card has broken down , and the repair on an already $5000 machine was just too much...i`m now trying mach3 , but i still have to go a long way.

Make sure the water cooler is running before you switch the machine to cut..if not, a sudden switch on of the water might cause cracks in the tube when it is already busy cutting/working.

Your laser should be equiped with a coolant flow sensor. This prevents the laser tube from heating up without the coolant in place.

What was the price for the replacement Motion Card from Red Sail? If it is the 6515 or the 6535, then it shold NOT be too expensive. Better than going to the Mach 3 option..

Red sail has had a proprietary software. I am not sure if it would ever be compatible with different USB dongle ... or even to run the USA version software.

Redsail laser not recommended

Redsail Laser C150 100 watt laser was what i ordered.

The replacement card cost was Nearly $900 .....that way to expensive for a machine i payed $5000 for + shipping + import duties...i have lost count of the total cost. In my country that is two payments on my car....you have to draw the line somewhere.

Redsail software easycut 5.1 has a lot of bugs. I brought this under Resail attention , but as we know the only software that get upgraded is the new software that comes with the new machine.

Smile Redsail Rep UK

Probably too late for this post but my company has been appointed the Rep for Redsail in the UK.

The problems posted here are typical, Redsail are aware of them and they hope to get a better service record by appointing Home as the main source for Redsail products in EU.

We have only just been appointed so stock is not yet here, when it is we should be able to help any Redsail purchaser with problems.

One main point, on ANY laser machine that is going to be cutting on a regular basis you need a proper chiller unit, such as the CL-5000 which does increase the price of the laser purchase BUT it IS a proper chiller unit keeping the liquid at a constant temperature, the standard unit shipped with the lasers is not a chiller, it is simply a liquid circulating 'cooler' so the temperature will not be constant with constant use, the temperature will increase the more the unit is used.