586,362 active members*
3,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

8' X-axis, Design Considerations

I'm considering using a 8' x-axis for my cnc router design. The design approach I have in mind will allow further expansion of the y-axis from 24" to 48" inches in the future (when I have the room). From a user interface I like loading the machine from the long side with minimum reach over, but need to better understand the negatives of a long x-axis. All axis will be rack-pinion drive. The y-axis will be driven from both sides. The x-axis gantry will be steel tube (for adequate stiffness and reduced weight as much as practical). How may in this community have a long x-axis and what challenges and solutions did it present?

Check out the build thread for lenne0815.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the response and link.

My question was not worded well. I stated x-axis, but I think I am causing some confusion. The 8 foot axis I am talking about is the gantry length, not the table long long axis. Usually the gantry travles along the long axis of the table. I want it to travel along the short axis. The spindle (z axis) will travel along an 8 foot long gantry. Based on this clarification does anyone have some additional input? Thanks

Actually I did understand what you meant, that it was an 8' gantry. There is someone who has done this and I looked extensively for the thread but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else will remember who it was. The last time I looked at it I remember it had a video and in it the poster had added a length of steel channel to the aluminum gantry extrusion to increase the stiffness. Hopefully that will jog someone's memory. I remember it being a well thought out and well constructed machine. I have the nagging thought that it was a European build but I'm just not sure about that. The gantry was about 8' and the table travel was about 3'...pretty much exactly what you're describing as being your own interest. After all of the searching I did I had to offer something for my own sanity. Apologies.

Chris

Chris, no need to apologize. Your help is appreciated.

I think I found the video you were trying to find:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRKGFPmRn0&feature=results_main]Homemade CNC X axis explained - YouTube[/ame]

I can get some data from video, based on his other videos and Q&A within I can't really get a sense for how hard he pushes the equipment, tolerance of work, and specifics about his drivers. Still looking for more info.

That's it. Here's his thread on the 'Zone' if you haven't already found it.

Chris