586,100 active members*
2,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Joes CNC Model 2006 > Wiring two drivers to one circuit on Break Out

Wiring two drivers to one circuit on Break Out

I am building the electrical system for a Joe’s Evo 4 x 4 router. I plan on using the rack and pinion option with 400 oz-in steppers.

I don’t know how many driver stations are available on the break out board and would like to have one extra circuit available for future use as a rotary option for turning small parts.

Can I send the same instructions to the two drivers for the left and right gantry steppers from one circuit on the break out board?

Or does each driver need dedicated wiring to separate circuits on the BO Board?

If each driver needs a dedicated slot, and I intend to drive a fifth stepper for light turning operations, then that suggests I need a BO Board with at least 5 separate circuits, right? I haven't ordered anything yet.

I intend to use an old computer tower to house all the components: the dedicated power supply, the break out board and drivers and several large fans.

Thanks

L.J

Hi L.J

you can wire two stepper drivers to one breakout board output but
    it will depend on the breakout board and stepper drivers you use

for instance the outputs of the 5 axis breakout board sold with the M542 stepper drivers should be able to sink or source a current of 25mA

the manual for the M542 indicates a typical step, direction and enable input current of 10 mA is need

this indicates its possible to connect two M542 drivers to one breakout board output

John

Paired drivers on BO Board

Thanks for the prompt response John. I'm new to stepper technology and need support.

What you wrote is encouraging.

Thanks

Art

I have done it on the very first original Hybrid prototype which used rails and skate bearings, I wired two motors to the step and Direction pins, and ensured the wire lengths were the same for signal timing although a little difference probably would not matter. Have you looked at the smooth stepper? it has two lpt port outputs and the input is USB so a printer port is not needed on the computer.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Two Gantry Steppers driven by one circuit

That is encouraging Joe, thanks for the prompt response. I've not heard of the "smooth stepper". I'll look it up.

Art