586,106 active members*
3,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kavo 4041 Spindle help

Anyone have experience with a Kavo 4041? I bought one on Ebay a few years ago. I have a VFD set up to run it, even though I will only be able to get about half speed at 400hz.

It is hard to turn, I am assuming it should spin freely? Is this something I can rebuild my self? Anyone have a manual on it for assembly?

Thanks!
    Thanks
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mbam View Post
    Anyone have experience with a Kavo 4041? I bought one on Ebay a few years ago. I have a VFD set up to run it, even though I will only be able to get about half speed at 400hz.

It is hard to turn, I am assuming it should spin freely? Is this something I can rebuild my self? Anyone have a manual on it for assembly?

Thanks!
    I had one for a while, now using the larger but similar 4061. Great spindles.

How hard to turn is it? Like, it needs a spanner or just stiff?

It should spin freely and smoothly - make sure none of the motor phases are shorted and that you aren't supplying air to the air fitting on top (collet release). If there's a collet and tool or test pin fitted, supply air to the collet release and check that it releases properly. Don't ever release the air to the collet clamp without a tool in the collet.

If the collet doesn't release, keep the air supply on and try using a pair of spanners to unscrew the collet (with a tool or test pin in it!) - sometimes they can stick (my 4041 never did, but it happened often with an older 4052 I had).

I have the manual, PM me if you want it. I don't have a service manual, sorry. If it's in otherwise good condition and you paid good money for it, then you might consider having it assessed and rebuilt if necessary. Call Robert at RMS assembly - they have a special on rebuilds at the moment, $1,250. Not cheap but buying just the proper bearings will cost hundreds unless you can snag some on Ebay.

If you decide to attack it yourself, make sure your workspace is spotless! You may need to make some tools to disassemble it, and be very careful if you take the stack of belleville springs apart. In fact, if you're not very sure of what you're doing, don't touch that end I'll attach the drawing so you can see how they go together. The general consensus seems to be that unless you know what you're doing, be prepared to write off the spindle.

Regards,

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 12.15.04 PM.png  

Jason, thanks for the reply. I am probably in trouble.

I have the entire top end apart and now I am making some spanners for the bottom. And yes the bellvilles are all out, but I did take pictures (not my first rodeo ).

I think it is the very bottom bearing, with the bellvilles out when i push up it spins freely, but if I push down it is stiff.

I have it apart in my office, not exactly clean room but not full of chips either.

I bought it on Ebay, one of those "we have no way to test this" listings. It has been sitting ever since but I have a job now that could use it.

I have the drawings like the thumbnail, is there anything else? Looks like standard Abec 7 bearings which are not inexpensive! I was going to clean the whole thing out and use some Krytox on the bearings.

What is this worth if rebuilt?
    Thanks
    Marc

It'd be great to see some pics if you can?

Getting it apart without breaking anything is probably half the battle Can you measure the bearings and post the sizes? As long as it's clean where you reassemble it you ought to be able to avoid any catastrophic contamination.

I'd guess it could be worth somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000 rebuilt. They don't come up often though. The value probably depends on how much somebody needs it.

Regards,

Jason

Kavo disassemble 4041 dc-s

Hi i have a sycotec 4041 dc-s, and i have to change the up bearing, i disassemble all motor but i can take out the axis to the chasis, i want to know if you have some datasheet. *ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	198975Click image for larger version. 

Views:	9 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	198975Click image for larger version. 

Views:	8 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	198977Click image for larger version. 

Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	198977

Click image for larger version. 

Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	198979Click image for larger version. 

ID:	198979

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
ID:	198981Click image for larger version. 

ID:	198981Click image for larger version. 

ID:	198981