586,075 active members*
3,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Momus website launched!

The website has been launched:

momus CNC | benchtop DIY router plans | home page

Take a look and let me know what you think. Just a word of warning, I am definitely not a web designer.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed images, it is much appreciated. If anyone else would like to have some images put up, let me know.

Oh, and if you take a look and anything looks totally whacky, hit the refresh button on your browser. I've been making constant changes, and every time it messes things up if the page isn't refreshed.

-Bob

Looks nice!

Looks great... looking forward to more additions to the Gallery, R&D and Projects sections...

Thanks guys!
    looking forward to more additions to the Gallery, R&D and Projects sections...
    Me too!

I like it a lot. Great job! I was going to suggest adding sample pages from the plans, but then I found it. I think it's in the wrong spot. Put it right on the home page. You'll get better sales Maybe add a sample page or two from the 1st half of the plans where you explain the CNC start to part process or show some calcs. Let people know they can actually learn from this, even if they never build anything. Many would buy the plans just for that.

I enjoy watching other people's build and seeing their modifications. Perhaps add a page dedicated to modifications and show everyone else's build. This will let new people see that the possibilities are endless.

And of course, what I like best is videos! One page with links to all the youtube videos out there would be great!

Keep doing what you do best. It is much appreciated from where I am

I was going to suggest adding sample pages from the plans, but then I found it. I think it's in the wrong spot. Put it right on the home page.
    Ah, excellent suggestion. As soon as I read this it hit me that I really haven't given enough attention to the product itself, mostly to the outcome.

The other suggestions are great too. One of the most challenging parts of putting this together has been figuring out a logic of how to present the info. I had contemplated a page of just videos, but then was debating whether it would make more sense to have videos appear throughout, depending on content. For that matter, it could even make sense to include videos on a general "gallery" page. Ugh, it all makes my head hurt. Of course in order to put videos anywhere means I need to make them first.

-bob

I read a quote "While there are exceptions to this statement, CNC machines typically replace (or work in conjunction with) some existing manufacturing process/es." Is it so ?
    I'm curious where you read this.
    I think it probably depends on what is being made, how many are being made, costs of local labor etc. If making 10 million pieces of something then CNC/robotics/automation rule the day. A hobbiest working on a singular project at home is most likely going to combine CNC with other more traditional methods. I know I still bust out the sandpaper.

In some ways I think this statement leaves out an important philosophical component, and that is the fact that new methods of production offer the possibility of not just replacing the old methods, but of allowing us to make things that simply could not be made before. It can change the way we conceive of the things we make, causing an evolution not just in production, but in design process. Therein lies the power of having a CNC machine (or 3d printer, or laser cutter, etc.) in your home shop.

-bob

Like the web site.

Interested in seeing the finished availability of the 3d print head.

Yeah, it is still in the very early stages of development. I have the temperature control working, and a few of the hot-end parts fabricated. I have no experience with 3d printing yet, just lots of reading about other designs. I've tried to incorporate aspects of what seem to be the best functioning ones, so we'll see how it goes.

Bob,

Way cool, and thanks for the nice words!

Randy

Looks great Bob

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post
    Like the web site.

Me too:wee: Thanks for the great plans!
    Bob A
    CNC Projects

Good job on the new website Bob!

Clean, fast loading, non-fussy design.

Two thumbs up!

Thanks!

Now that there is a structured site in place, I'm looking forward to adding more and more content.

-Bob

Nice clean looking site - good job.
    As far as new content - how about a place where users could post pictures of their projects?

Richard
    I don't make mistakes ... I make 'unintended engineering design changes'.

As far as new content - how about a place where users could post pictures of their projects?
    Yes, absolutely! So far I've seen way more photos of completed machines than work that has come off of them. I'd love to see more of what people are using them for. I need to figure out where within the overall site structure that would make the most sense. A separate page? On the Gallery page with the machines? On the Projects page? Maybe "Projects" and ownloads" (of which there aren't any yet) get separated?

In the meanwhile, you can send me any images you'd like to show on the site and that will put some pressure on me to figure it out. A thread on CNCzone might be nice too. I need to show more of what I have done too.

-Bob

I also love looking at the mods. You could make an "awards" page and show the best base, cover, gantry, electronics, part made by a Momus, etc. Categories, nominations and winners picked by you, or voted on by others. That could be fun. The winner could also get an all expense paid vacation to somewhere nice

Only if the winner happens to already live somewhere nice. :cheers:

Bob,

I'm making slow progress on a version 2 machine. I've been posting updates with pictures on my own website, Mike's Flight Deck . If the pictures have any appeal for use in the MomusCNC site gallery, feel free to use them.

Mike,
    I remember taking a look at your site a while back. The build is looking really good. Thanks for the offer of using the images. The next time I'm updating the site I will add some into the gallery section.

-Bob

Page 1 of 2 12