586,094 active members*
3,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alternative to SheetCam?

Does anyone know of a program similar to SheetCam that will cut the inside of a letter first and then the outside? I know DeskCNC will but thats too much money. I need a program to create the toolpath and generate the gcode but set the inside cuts first.

Thanks!

Warren

If you don't have a CAD program, download A9CAD from www.A9tech.com

Put the inside of the letters on their own layer, and the outsides on a different layer.
    Then resave the .dxf. Then you can use ACE, or Mach3 to set the layer machining order during the conversion. This should work for you, and it's free.

You won't find a better CAM program for the money than SheetCAM. You probably can't find any CAM program for less money.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You can use SheetCam itself to put the insides of letters (usualy) on different layers.
    You can also copy items to new layers so you have two of the same object, do the inside of one layer, then come back and do the outside of the "other" layer...

Thanks. I know SheetCam will do the toolpath cutting like I want but for some reason its not showing my DXF files on my other XP machine. It works fine on this one but not the other one with the same version and the same DXF files. I emailed Less but still waiting to see what he suggests. So for now I just wanted to know what else was out there for setting the toolpaths in the correct order for letters.

Warren

Re: Alternative to SheetCam?

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you don't have a CAD program, download A9CAD from A9Tech - Home of Popular Free CAD Software

Put the inside of the letters on their own layer, and the outsides on a different layer.
    Then resave the .dxf. Then you can use ACE, or Mach3 to set the layer machining order during the conversion. This should work for you, and it's free.

You won't find a better CAM program for the money than SheetCAM. You probably can't find any CAM program for less money.
    You wrote this 10 years ago is this still the case??

Its purely for plasma cutting I am looking for......