586,065 active members*
4,546 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: XY out of square!!!

I loosened the 16 cap screws with a 5mm Allen wrench, nudged it into place, and tightened them back up checking every few turns to make sure it was still straight. It was about as easy as lining up a vise. Right now its as square as my 123 block. I'll borrow or buy something better before I put the covers back on.

The Z is off .0005in/in in both directions. I think I'm going to try some shims between the Y bearing blocks and the table. It seems much easier and effectively the same as shimming the column.

Thanks for all your help Stuart!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrum View Post
    I loosened the 16 cap screws with a 5mm Allen wrench, nudged it into place, and tightened them back up checking every few turns to make sure it was still straight. It was about as easy as lining up a vise. Right now its as square as my 123 block. I'll borrow or buy something better before I put the covers back on.

The Z is off .0005in/in in both directions. I think I'm going to try some shims between the Y bearing blocks and the table. It seems much easier and effectively the same as shimming the column.

Thanks for all your help Stuart!

I would think about shimming the Y axis blocks for a while before doing it. I don't think it is the same as adjusting the Z axis guide.
    What you want to do is align the machine components with the XY motion. That includes the table top. If you shim the Y axis guides you have move the tabletop in reference to the XY motion.
    I would put a flat plate on the table with adjustable supports. Sweep the flat plate with an indicator using XY motion. That will establish the plane of XY motion. Then you can sweep the plate using the spindle to see how far the spindle axis is from perpendicular. You can set a square (123 block) (246 block) (machinist square) on the plate to check Z axis perpendicularity.
    Then you will be able to determine which adjustments to make.
    be careful - have fun - think about what you do before you do it - you will get there

That should work fine. My square is 5 sided, and in micro inch range, but the Shars would do 80% of machine tools.

I ordered the shars square today. None of my friends have anything I can use. I'll followup when it gets here.

if sweeping the spindle for your xz-yz, might also want to tram your square block using just z movement- just to be sure you are not seeing spindle-to-Z rail error... by sweeping spindle have seen yz error from bowing (bad levelling) AND more often from rail wear(overhung load fighting gravity wears backs of the top, fronts of bottom) giving same appearance as bowed... tramming off z movement better shows where the Z rails are before adjusting spindle square, just to verify nothings bowed, and verify nothings loose- gently prying up on the overhung end of the Z, with indicators reading in/out at top and bottom of casting to Z rail often shows scary amounts of wear on box way machines- usually most is from topend backstrap wear as front bottom pads are much larger area... linear rail machines are usually pretty equally worn top and bottom from what Ive seen, often they run with way more clearance than one would expect to see...if tight, real Spindle to Z rail errors in the y axis direction are unusual unless its been wrecked really bad, shimming the trucks on a linear machine is about all you can do shy of disassembling/scraping... spindle to Z rail error in x direction is easy by scooting the trucks a little.

I got the square today. My mill squared up nicely in the xy.

I have a VF-8. After loosing the cap nuts of trucks Y axis, I could not adjust the table to square. The saddle is too heavy to move. Do you all have any idea on this? Tks

Page 2 of 2 12