586,106 active members*
3,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Skimerator model 3200

Has anyone used this oil separator (or any of the Zebra models) to separate tramp oil in their HAAS machine? I need to find something that effectively maintains proper coolant balance because I don't run my machines on a daily basis. If I let them sit wothout pumping the coolant through the system for more than a few days, I get foaming problems. I use Blaser coolant, and have for the past 10 years and apart from foaming issues I find this coolant to be very good. I machine 50% 6061-T6 and 50% plastic (Acrylic & Peek)
    I appreciate your help on the subject.

Anti-foaming agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_S View Post
    Has anyone used this oil separator (or any of the Zebra models) to separate tramp oil in their HAAS machine? I need to find something that effectively maintains proper coolant balance because I don't run my machines on a daily basis. If I let them sit wothout pumping the coolant through the system for more than a few days, I get foaming problems. I use Blaser coolant, and have for the past 10 years and apart from foaming issues I find this coolant to be very good. I machine 50% 6061-T6 and 50% plastic (Acrylic & Peek)
    I appreciate your help on the subject.
    Frank,
    We have the same problem. what we have come up with is to buy some anti-foam agent from a pool supply co. Or you can also use "Rug Dr." or equivalent. I know, not much help here.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Thanks JoBwan for the suggestion regarding foaming. I have anti foaming agent but if the coolant becomes contaminated with too much tramp oil it really doesn't help. I'm getting a Skimerator on loan to try it out and if it works effectively I'll buy it.

Zebra Skimmer

I'm using the Zebra Sidewinder and have been for about 4 years. In addition, I'm using a fish tank air pump on all our coolant tanks. This allows us to agitate and aerate the coolant.

http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supp...pumps/4469.asp

http://www.zebraskimmers.com/oil_ski...tml#Sidewinder

deanrach,
    I have seen that Zebra Sidewinder before and wondered if it worked well. You have been using it for a while...do you like that type better than a belt?
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by deanrach View Post
    I'm using the Zebra Sidewinder and have been for about 4 years. In addition, I'm using a fish tank air pump on all our coolant tanks. This allows us to agitate and aerate the coolant.

http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supp...pumps/4469.asp

http://www.zebraskimmers.com/oil_ski...tml#Sidewinder
    I thought about the sidewinder but my coolant supplier mention the Skimerator was a better value and offered to let me try one out. I should receive it next week.

Are you using a bunch of aerators in your tanks to keep the coolant from stagnating?

I'm not familiar with the Skimerator, but if it's from Zebra I'm sure it's good stuff. I have not used the belt type skimmer only because of the limited room on the HAAS MiniMills. As for the air pumps, we use only one per tank.

I used this one. It worked pretty good. Ran it twenty four seven.

The pumps eventually go out but it works best at night after you leave as the coolant settles and the oil rises to but skimmed by the ingenious little float system it has to skim the surface.

As you can see in the diagram the pump sucks the coolant behind the float causing it to drop enough to let the oil on the surface flow over the top.

http://www.design-mfg.net/Skimerator/Skimerator.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CarsonD View Post
    I used this one. It worked pretty good. Ran it twenty four seven.

The pumps eventually go out but it works best at night after you leave as the coolant settles and the oil rises to but skimmed by the ingenious little float system it has to skim the surface.

As you can see in the diagram the pump sucks the coolant behind the float causing it to drop enough to let the oil on the surface flow over the top.

http://www.design-mfg.net/Skimerator/Skimerator.htm
    P.S. I do remember some trouble with the coolant foaming up in the tank. I put an old bushing or spacer in the hose right before the coolant flowed into the tank to restrict the flow down some.

Did you get the Skimerator?

Old thread, but I never read the end result about the Skimerator. I'm looking at maybe getting one too.

Where using something at the shop I'm at now that is more portable than the Skimerator.

Oil Skimmer - Floating Oil Skimmer And Industrial Oil Skimmer

The picture in the link looks like what we have except for the tank in front of the unit. If the unit behind it is the same as ours it has wheels on it so it can be moved from machine to machine. Also if it is the same that unit in front with the floats in it would represent you machine system tank. The intake has floats so it skims and recirculates the oily coolant off of the surface.

Re: Skimerator model 3200

The old company, design & manufacturing was bought by another company with more capabilities. I bought a new and MUCH improved Skimerator from HL Precision Manufacturing, and found that they have developed a top of the line product, both in appearance and functionality. The Skimerator's from Design worked extremely well, but were not appealing to the eye. HL Precision has advanced the seamless look and functionality of the Skimerator and I strongly encourage you to try out their new model. The website isn't updated yet from what I can see, but it's most definitely worth your purchase...not to mention the price is unbeatable by all other competitors. HL Precision Manufacturing, Inc. is the new site. Hope this helps!