586,590 active members*
2,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Inkscape to Lasercut 5.3

What's the best, most compatible export format in Inkscape if I am going to import it into Lasercut 5.3? Been using dxf but text does not import, and the measurements are off in Lasercut. For example, if I drew a box 14x23mm in Inkscape, when I import it, it'll be 13.x and 22.7x in Lasercut 5.3.

Thanks

Ofcourse you tried them all.. if you didn't you shouldn't ask..
    I don't use Inkscape but i have to use several other programs to convert one output to another, DXF for instance.
    For DXF, use version 2004/2005/2006 and check for double instances.
    Sometimes you will see Beziers and curves with nodes are converted to small straight lines.
    just try what suits you best. Adobe Illustrator is a good startingpoint.
    So many programs, so many solutions..

Kees

No, I didn't try them all, I tried a few of them, and dxf seems to be the closest. Since the import feature of Lasercut 5.3 is somewhat limited, I was wondering if there was a better format that dxf.

I am not sure I understand your comment about trying them all before asking. Even if I did try each format (and I nearly did), each format has export options, and if I were to test each one of them for each format, it would take a very long time, and the results would only show me that the results of that one export, and not if the formats are better or worst for each format.

So if you are saying I should just spend the next few weeks trying it all out and find out for myself, well, that's a pretty douchy thing to say. The point of these forums are to help each other out, and share knowledge, not as platform for you to tell people to rtfm.

Atv2, I am in complete agreement with you. A forum, is an open line for asking questions that are relevent to the forums purpose. Yours was very relevent, so keep asking.

Milt

Sorry if it came a bit hard,
    But as Lasercut only accepts a few formats, and Inkscape probably exports only three or maybe four of these, you could have tried.. This would take you probably only two minutes.. lesser time than you did spend on writing this topic.
    So i assumed that if you tried all, and one filetype worked well, you wouldn't have asked or shouldn't...
    You might think you had overlooked some possibilities and that's why you started this topic.
    What i was pointing to is that, if Inkscape doesn't export a fileformat that is interpreted well by Lasercut, that you could try another program as an intermediate "filter". So if Inkscape exports filetype .XYZ best but that isn't one of the import-filetypes of Lasercut, you could use a program that imports this filetype very well and exports it to one that Lasercut reads very well..
    Adobe Illustrator imports and exports many filetypes.
    I don't mention the RTFM as i know how many manuals are written..

Kees

Inkscape exports to 23 formats, and Lasercut import supports 14 formats (mostly raster). The 3 they have in common are dxf, plt, and hpgl. Yes, I did try all of those, and dxf worked the best, and I asked because it still didn't work right, and maybe open some discussions around how to best solve this problem.

I know most of you pros have commercial products that can do a lot more than Inkscape, or lasers that support direct printing from any app, and not have to live within the limits of Lasercut, but unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.

I have a friend who has AI, I'll send him a file and see if Inkscape -> AI -> Lasercut works any better.

If I can't get this to work right, maybe I'll have to buy Corel (since Lasercut supports printing directly from Corel, and Corel can probably most of the file formats I care about). I would rather donate $500 to someone who can write a USB driver to talk to the 6515 controller from Inkscape.

Send me your 14x23 box in DXF.. The i can see if inkscape exports it wrong or Lasercut does something with it.. (PB, maybe you need to alter the extension in .jpg for instance else you may not be allowed to send it..)
    I'm not a pro either..

Kees

What LaserCut claims and what it can actually do (without errors) are two very different things. For vector cutting, .plt is the best. For engraving, b/w .bmp. The behavior with .dxf is extremely erratic no matter which program you output from (Corel, solidworks, autodesk, etc). Also inkscape is known for some weird behaviors with lasers, I highly recommend you try CorelDraw. I don't know how inkscape handles this, but if you're not using hairlines in CorelDraw, the job control programs will often either trace both sides of a non-zero-width line or consolidate it down in size.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, that's good info Andrew. I'll give plt another try.

I'm new to all this, so this may be common knowledge, and I just didnt get the memo.

It seems many of the problems with reading dxf files from Lasercut can be fixed if you convert to path before saving to dxf. You can do this by selecting parts or all of your drawing and hitting shift-control-c.

Before doing this, when I had text is the drawing, it would not show up in Lasercut, but once it's converted to path, it shows up!

Inkscape is very easy to use, and I am very impressed by the product's capabilities, now if I can just cut directly from it, there wouldn't be a reason for me to use anything else.

Have a try "Big Blue Saw" inkscape save as filter. I did use it for text (chinese), inkscape,Big Blue Saw, Dxf ,Heekscnc,linuxcnc router.