586,103 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > 5 minutes Cheap and fast Foundry.

5 minutes Cheap and fast Foundry.

Hi..
    This is my aluminum furnace.
    just use your wife LPG/LNG gas Stove, and
    several stuff like milk can, steel cup and some ceramicfiber.
    5 minutes to build

just need 30 min to produce liquid Aluminum.

check at my web:

http://www.geocities.com/rcaeromodel/FOUNDRY.html

here the diagram:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 min foundry2.JPG  

Man that is awesome! I GOT to try that! hehe. More things to worry the wife with
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Please make sure the can isn't soldered...
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Wow, My wife gets mad when I melt wax on her stove to make candles (chair)
    Wayne Hill

Just want to let you know - be very careful when using ceramic fibres! I used to deal with them at work, after heating they can become quite dangerous - please read an MSDS before using. Thanks

Ops.. there are several weakness and safety isseus that must be considered, I forgot to tell that. Thanks..
    Unsoldered can will be good, or iron pipe?, but since the can wrapped by the C fiber and tied with cable it will stable. just change to iron pipe for sure.

The C fiber is not really hot (outside) (<100 deg C) and still in form of a fiber after melting the Al. But it is sharps, it can be a torn and break your skin (like very little needle).For more safety you can wrap thiker (more C fiber) so it can keep the inside temp. better, and outside cooler, and you can wrap it with thin metal sheet.

I know there are many doubt about this, but it is works..

Thanks
    Maturnuwun sanget.

Heh it certainly would work. I spoke to my brother about this- he gave me some more info that might be useful. He's a qualified metalurgist with years of casting experience, so I thought I'd post what he said.... here you go

It would work to a fashion, you would be better with a crucible of sorts. Cost a few pounds.

To improve on the design

I would line the inside with fibreblanket and put the flame coming in on the side this gives the vortex effect, and heats quicker.

Depending on what your going to cast, the fluidity will be a problem especially for small part , use something already cast (i.e. not aluminium cans) as cast product should typically contain silicon, which helps fluidity. Old outside light casings will be 4-5% silicon,

Forgot to say!

Most metal casters use a piece of steel pipe with a welded bottom or some other steel container for a crucible. Big mistake!

Aluminum has an almost insatiable affinity for iron. It will dissolve as much iron as it can get, ruining the aluminum. Castings from such aluminum will be brittle, dull when machined and lack good mechanical properties.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

"Most metal casters use a piece of steel pipe with a welded bottom or some other steel container for a crucible. Big mistake!

Aluminum has an almost insatiable affinity for iron. It will dissolve as much iron as it can get, ruining the aluminum. Castings from such aluminum will be brittle, dull when machined and lack good mechanical properties."

What would be a good material for a DIY crucible. Stainles Steel mayby ?

Thanks

there are several home foundry places on the internet that sell small cruciables and or tell you how to make them cheap.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/

this is the first one I looked at and it has alot of info
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I have heard that furnace cement can be used as a coating for a steel/iron crucible