586,096 active members*
3,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pack Boring

Pack Boring

I have heard of Pack Boring as an operation for deep boring on the lathe. Can anyone explain Pack Boring, tell me what tooling is involved or point me to literature on this operation?

I have never heard of Pack Boring.

Never heard of it either. You must need to do some deep boring. Give more details about your needs and maybe people can help.

What?

Google doesn't return anything either, and i consider myself to be quite talented at altering search strings to find exactly what I want..

Very interested to hear about this.

I will say this though, for a given diameter there is a limit to how deep you can bore before your boring bar just is not rigid enough anymore, in such cases you're best drilling and following with a reamer.

Cheers

did you mean " back boring "

back boring is when you insert the boring tool threw the hole then engage into a cut ,boring on the back side of the work piece

Maybe he is meaning boring with the cutting motion "backing up" or coming out of the hole?

If that is the case, I have done this many times when chip control was difficult to impossible and chips were building up at the bottom of the hole causing problems such as tool push off, chatter, and galling.

But, he has not checked back in over 24 hours, so the answers may not be that important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Maybe he is meaning boring with the cutting motion "backing up" or coming out of the hole?

If that is the case, I have done this many times when chip control was difficult to impossible and chips were building up at the bottom of the hole causing problems such as tool push off, chatter, and galling.

But, he has not checked back in over 24 hours, so the answers may not be that important to him.
    Maybe he's looking for a bucket of steam.

Thanks for your responses. The automated email message was routed to my spam folder so I wasn't aware of the responses. Yes, the process I am looking for is called "Pack Boring" and it is a method to stabilize the boring bar when boring beyond the normal limits of depth. It is somewhat like pull boring but can be done when there is an internal shoulder. Perhaps it is a manual lathe operation only. I have attached a PDF of a hit I was able to get on Google for Sunbelt Steel that preforms this process.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bobfromtex View Post
    Thanks for your responses. The automated email message was routed to my spam folder so I wasn't aware of the responses. Yes, the process I am looking for is called "Pack Boring" and it is a method to stabilize the boring bar when boring beyond the normal limits of depth. It is somewhat like pull boring but can be done when there is an internal shoulder. Perhaps it is a manual lathe operation only. I have attached a PDF of a hit I was able to get on Google for Sunbelt Steel that preforms this process.
    Contact Sunbelt Steel and inquire how they do this process (if they are still in business). Please share what you learn here.

Pack boring is a crude term used for Push-boring.
    This is in contrast to pull boring.

Technically from what I understand, pack boring tools are made of wood. This all can be done in a much sophisticated manner with standard BTA/STS style tooling or bottle boring.

Try looking for BTA Heller, Botek or Sandvik Deep Hole Drilling tools, Unitac or Ingersoll or Iscar deep hole drilling tools.
    This should give a starting idea or what they are talking about