586,647 active members*
2,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

JGRO Design OK for First Machine

I'm new to this but I've spent a couple of weeks looking at posts. I would like to build a machine for hobby use, cutting out model airplane parts (balsa and light plywood).

Would the JGRO router table design be a good first machine to build? I have wood making tools, such as: table saw, drill press, jig saw, etc. I have downloaded the plans and, with help from you all, I think that I could build it.

I thought before I started collecting material I would ask for your opinions. perhaps there's another plan I should look at or even a kit that maybe is out there. I don't think I need a large machine for what I want to do.

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

Thanks in advance, Wally.

You are on the right track. The jgro build is the simplest and most accurate for the money and time spent to build. You should read the following thread by joe2000chevy. He has great ideas on building this style of machine and you can get a good education from the thread. The thread is found at:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10067
    Additionally is his latest build at:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15139
    Really, the guy is a genius and you can learn a lot from his build journals.
    Good luck and post your progress with pictures.

Thank you for the threads, I just finished going through them and all I can say is wow! It looks like I have my work cut out for me. Question: what's the difference between HDPE and UHMW? Can these materials be interchanged? i can get UHMW easier than HDPE.
    Wally

Quote Originally Posted by wallyh
    Thank you for the threads, I just finished going through them and all I can say is wow! It looks like I have my work cut out for me. Question: what's the difference between HDPE and UHMW? Can these materials be interchanged? i can get UHMW easier than HDPE.
    Wally
    I cut a drive nut for an acme screw out of UHMW and couldn't get the nut loose enough to use. Then I cut one out of Delrin and it was right on first try. I think the delrin doesn't deform as much under pressure. (My opinion only)

Alan

I've seen the suggestion of freezing UHMW before the final tapping pass. The presumption was that it expanded, but maybe it no longer deforms away from the tap.

Hi guys, with the JGRO original plan , without any mod , what is the usable cutting area ????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mindstorm88
    Hi guys, with the JGRO original plan , without any mod , what is the usable cutting area ????

Thanks
    The cutting area is approximately 15" x 30" (381mm x 762mm). You can do slightly longer pieces if you want to hang them over the end of the table.

The JGRO is a great, first CNC table, you'll learn a lot.

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Quote Originally Posted by triticale
    I've seen the suggestion of freezing UHMW before the final tapping pass. The presumption was that it expanded, but maybe it no longer deforms away from the tap.
    Freezing shrinks. Maybe warm the tap and cool the uhmw?
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!