586,441 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Noisey Spindle

I just got my new (used) Tormach 1100 and the spindle seems noisy to me, Took the belt off and ran it and the motor alone is very quiet.
    Any comments from others?

Sorry if this is too obvious... How tight is the spindle pulley nut?

What do you feel when you turn the spindle by hand when the belt is removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Praymond1209 View Post
    I just got my new (used) Tormach 1100 and the spindle seems noisy to me, Took the belt off and ran it and the motor alone is very quiet.
    Any comments from others?

It might be your belt. My pulley has a bit of run-out and every year or so, I'll need to grind down the area on my belt near the splice - even on a brand new Gates belt. Over time the belt seems to swell in this area - maybe due to the mist coolant system I use and this interacts with the run-out in my pulley to cause a noisy vibration that will eventually affect the surface finish if the belt isn't re-dressed. - Terry

Posting a sound track/video might help with the diagnosis, if you are up to it.

Phil

Drive Motor

I have been looking into the noisy spindle some more and have discovered that at very low RPM I can hear a tick in the drive motor with the belt off, as I increase the RPM it seems to go away but I think under load it would get louder. I plan to remove the motor and replace or at least look at the bearings, the pulley is tight and runs true.

Another issue, the coolant relay is not working, it did prior to the spindle upgrade, I can hear a faint click when I toggle the coolant pump on and off but no result.
    I put a meter on the connections and read 24 volt at the receptacle whether the circuit is on or off.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Praymond1209 View Post
    Another issue, the coolant relay is not working, it did prior to the spindle upgrade, I can hear a faint click when I toggle the coolant pump on and off but no result.
    I put a meter on the connections and read 24 volt at the receptacle whether the circuit is on or off.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Pat
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...mp_issues.html