586,069 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Love my Tormach

Nothing of substance here, just a story.
    I normally use my series 1 1100 for in-house production duties. Recently, I was contracted to help a third party finish a several products of theirs, which each fit in a 1U rackmount case. All they had was a bundle of parts and a rough idea of what they wanted. And, of course, almost no time to do it in.
    I focused on using V-Carve Pro for incredibly quick CAM work for this 2.5D type layout. It excelled and was never delayed me with unnecessary crap. The only limit was my ability to calculate co-ordinates quick enough.
    But the Tormach was the real star. It took everything I had to throw at it, never blinking, never failing. It was a real work horse. From drilling and countersinking 400 holes per side plate, to precise pocketing operations, to complex engraving passes, to 3D contour milling. Even handled the 16"x18" top and bottom plates with only one part flip. In fact, just about every operation used just shy of the max travel of this machine. :-)
    After spending the last 100 hours running this machine, I have to say Kudos to Tormach for building a machine I could pay for with this project. That's quite a feat.

For anybody looking to buy a Tormach, and wondering if it is just a toy: No, it's a serious work machine. From hogging to maintaining 1 thou tolerance on a micro part, it does it for me. Not quite as fast as the big boys, but a helluva lot cheaper.

<3 Tormach <3

Jim

I have nothing but good things to say about Tormach as well!
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin USA View Post
    I have nothing but good things to say about Tormach as well!
    ME TOO!!!
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    ME TOO!!!
    Me three

David

I'll Chime in too - I just got my new fully loaded up 1100 running, and so far so great! (except trying to figure out how to program the a/c axis, but that's a software thing)....

Mods so far are the "shower curtain" mod and putting a quick disconnect on my panel for all the wiring (had to take it all apart to get in my shop)

I think it's about time for me to replace my shower curtains. Can't see through themk anymore. Oh well, $10. :-)