586,069 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Help with 4th axis

I could really use some advice on some issues I'm having with my 4th axis on my 1100. I recently upgrades the spindle and drives to a Series 3 and have been very pleased. The issue I'm having has nothing to do with that ( i hope) but just wanted mention the details of the machine. I program using BobCad V25, there latest version, I just recently hooked up my 4th axis and it seems to work as it should. This may be a bobcad software programming issue but maybe one of you guys have run into this problem. I wrote up a program in bobcad ingraving on a piece of round stock. The program starts as it should, for example, rapids over part, Z axis rapids down to .100 over part, then does a plunge cut at 5 IPM, then takes a G1 cut in X axis at 10 IPM.
    So far working as it should. Now the problem, when the program then goes to the A axis, it is still reading the F10.0, from the line before. The A axis then rotates at a very, very, slow 10 degree per minute. I believe the maximum the 4th axis will rotate is 5RPM, or 1800 degree per minute. Do I have a setting wrong on the machine? Possibly in my software? Could really use some help on this one. Also, when the machine is making a A axis move , as well as a X or Y axis move, they all seem to stay in time. Basically x and y slow down to wait for A. I did do some editing on the program, basically when G code line came up for a A axis move, I added a F1000.00, basically 10000 degree per minute. And it moved much faster, hope this makes sense. As alway thanks for all the help I get on this forum
    Blake

Think I figured it out, went into setting page and changed the diameter to the od of part and it seems to have fixed it..
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Blakea1790 View Post
    Think I figured it out, went into setting page and changed the diameter to the od of part and it seems to have fixed it..
    Blake
    yep, that's it.

I can't get mine to work at all, but its just problems finding a mastercam post that works right.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    yep, that's it.

I can't get mine to work at all, but its just problems finding a mastercam post that works right.
    Spinnetti,

I have a MC X3 machine def & post that I've used for years with out trouble.
    I also have X4 & X5 machine def & posts. They are untested by me but are by the same author.

PM me if you want.
    Tormach PCNC1100, Mach 3 R3.043.037, MastercamX5 level 3.

Quote Originally Posted by btu44 View Post
    Spinnetti,

I also have X4 & X5 machine def & posts. They are untested by me but are by the same author.

PM me if you want.
    PM sent, I'd very much appreciate a working 4 axis post!

Quote Originally Posted by btu44 View Post
    Spinnetti,

PM me if you want.
    Thanks for the pointers. Found out the table wasn't set up right. Working now! (some minor post issues, might ping you on that)

Thanks!