586,060 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Renaming a part.

Is possible to rename a part without saving as?

Thanks.

close the file, rename it in windows explorer, then reopen.

In this simple case, Solidworks can update any dependencies based on that file (assemblies, etc.) but you have to be careful messing with filenames and whatnot or you can get yourself into trouble.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Is possible to rename a part without saving as?

Thanks.
    The best way for anything slightly complicated with part dependencies is to use Solidworks Explorer. It will hunt down external references and reattach to the new part name. Right click the part in Explorer and you will see the options for Rename, copy etc. See the Help menu.

Mike

It is my recommendation to not EVER [and I mean EVER] rename a file with the simple windows Explorer 'rename'. There are instances [in reality lots of them] where you can get away with this but do it in the wrong instance just once and you'll understand why to never rename files that way.

The proper way is to either use the function in Solidworks Explorer or if you right click in Win-Explorer and then move your mouse over the solidworks line you'll get a pop-out which gives you the option of 'Rename'. This opens a small app that will find all the links [CAD model links] to that file and then re-direct those same links to the new filename.

This becomes even MORE important when your working in a multi cad user environment.. you never know who else as linked to the files your working on.. if one is wanting to be REALLY controling on this rule you can create user groups where access to the file structure is limited to opening and closing but renaming outside of the Solidworks Rename function is impossible. Better yet would be to set up a Vault and do things through it.. ALOT more controls as far as access to files etc.

Can you tell I've had a few 'new guys' come in and mess w/ my file structure

Fwiw

JFG
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

uhhh there is an easier way

in your feature manager tree, click the top part/file, push f2 and rename, once you are done save

thefu, I've used that for re-naming a feature but never a part/file name.. just tried it here and wasn't able to make it change a filename with either a part or assembly file, what am I missing?
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)