586,100 active members*
3,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PC 1100 oiling system

I've seen a few threads talking about the oiling system being plugged on relatively new Tormach machines. Mine is a few months old, and I don't think oil is getting to all of the places it is supposed to.

Does anyone have instructions on how to go about checking to make sure the oil is getting to all of the places it is supposed to? I've cracked a couple of fittings on the ways for the Z axis, but getting to the X and Y feed lines looks like it could be quite a job.

"NYCCNC" did a nice video on this a while ago.
    I believe he goes by a different user name here on the Cnczone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUrq9KSHv18&feature=plcp]Tormach PCNC 1100 - Way Oil Lube Manifolds Ch. 21 - YouTube[/ame]

A quick and easy check that I use is to wipe a finger over the relevant way surface or ballscrew screw. If it comes off oil wet then things should be fine. I have one Z axis way that is not as wet as the others but I haven't gotten round to digging deeper (after 6 years. )

I think the oil lines are a bit on the delicate side (at least on the early versions) so tearing into it can make things worse, unless you are prepared to do some replacement work.

Phil

How do you get your finger to the ways and ballscrew for X & Y? Z is easy, like shown in the video. Everything is out in the open.

I did find a line that is kinked on the end of the RS of the table. It makes me wonder about the condition of all of those other lines I can't get to. I really don't want to disassemble a brand new machine just to check the oilers, but I don't think oil is getting everywhere it is supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    How do you get your finger to the ways and ballscrew for X & Y? Z is easy, like shown in the video. Everything is out in the open.

I did find a line that is kinked on the end of the RS of the table. It makes me wonder about the condition of all of those other lines I can't get to. I really don't want to disassemble a brand new machine just to check the oilers, but I don't think oil is getting everywhere it is supposed to.
    You could try removing the oil from the the reservoir and filling with WD-40 and try to flush out out any clogs that might be in the system. Somewhere on the Tormach site is a document on the process to flush the lines. I attached a copy here.

I had my oiler fail on me under warranty and Tormach sent me another one. I eventually rebuilt my original and separated my Z axis oil system from the X and Y. I think I am getting a little bit better oil supply to my Z now.
    Gerry
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Thanks!