586,075 active members*
4,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Convert your CNC machine to a 3D Printer Controller

Convert your CNC machine to a 3D Printer Controller

We have found time to make up some kits of our 3D Printer Sanguino to Stepper Breakout Version 2.0.

This is based on the popular Sanguino Board used in 3D Printers for controlling Stepper Motors, Extruder and heated bed.

The difference is we have added breakout blocks which allows you to connect it to an existing CNC machine and use it's stepper drivers.

If you CNC controller port uses the standard Parallel Port then simply wire a cable into the breakout blocks.

A example is shown on the following thread
    Original Sanguinololu Compared to Sanguinololu + Breakout for CNC Controller

We decided to make our own breakout board rather than a plugin adapter for an existing board, which is detailed here:New Sanguino to Stepper Breakout Version 2.0

As you can see in the PCB picture below, from the left side, top connectors break out for the X/Y/Z and Extruders Step/Dir. Also there is a extra block for the Z-Axis for people using two steppers.

Then there is the Enable line and Limits for X/Y/Z followed by 12V out and 5V out.

Moving down the right hand side and bottom we have the Hot End and Hot Bed Thermistor inputs and then the outputs that are switched via the Mosfets to drive them.
    Then finally the left block at the bottom is the 12 Volt inpput.

We also documented how we adapted one of our desktop CNC machines to do 3D printer over here:

RouterStrap 3D printer using your own CNC machine.

A dedicated 3D printer frame with belts is much faster, but still rather than having two machine, just retro fit your CNC machine with a Heated Bed add-on, Extruder mounted on yourr Z-Axis and our Controller board to run your existing Stepper Box !

Kits for you to solder up yourself are up on ebay

3D Printer Sanguino to Stepper Breakout Version 2.0 | eBay

Cheers

Sean.

I happen to have a sanguino sitting around that I should use for something sometime
    I could see some fun with mold making...

Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    I happen to have a sanguino sitting around that I should use for something sometime
    If you already have the standard Sanguino board then you could knock up an adapter and use your existing CNC Controller box also.
    I drew up a breakout PCB here

*** Step 1 *** Sanguinololu Breakout Board

I modfoied the Marlin Firmware to have a pause between steps that is more suitable for certain steppers and have released also.

Have fun !

Cheers

Sean.

Why not just use mach3 to control it?