Being that you are coming from 3D gaming you'll probably want to do all your designing in what you are familiar with. You will want to get Mill Level 3 to handle the complex surfaces you will be importing with studio Max.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypants View Post
Hello everyone:

I am a complete newbie with CNC/Mastercam software but as a former video game artist, I am definitely not new to 3D (I use 3D Studio Max for my present 3D work and I know that is not going to cut it in my new career direction).

My problem is that I have no clue really which version of Mastercam to get.

As a mostly-art guy, the technical side of design has always been a struggle and I am completely overwhelmed by Mastercam's desciptions of the various versions/products on their website and I am hoping that some users here will be able to help me decide which product will suit my needs.

I am wanting to design anything from furniture to ...heck, any sort of consumer products, really. I guess I am still figuring out which direction to go in but furniture designs will definitely be in the mix somewhere.

I just need to know what would be the best version of Mastercam to learn that will enable me to go from the design stage to production-ready files.

I am running:

Windows 7 Professional

4BG of RAM

32-bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Tom