586,655 active members*
2,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > A few questions on building a cnc plasma setup...

A few questions on building a cnc plasma setup...

I'v been looking into a plasma table for a few years now and i have recently done a bit of research and followed a few builds and i think i want to build my own. I do quite a few one off peaces throughout the year (I currently use draft-sight for my programing then just email the DWG file's to a close shop that cuts out my peaces on a water jet) The turn around time is slow since its a high volume shop and they get to me when they can. I plan on doing more things that need to be done on a CNC so i feel it might be time to invest in my own equipment and a CNC plasma set up i feel would fit the build since most of the stuff i will be doing won't need to be tight tolerances, Im mostly looking at doing art based work and some occasional brackets, sprockets etc not only would having a cnc plasma be convenient but i think i would get a lot of use out of it. I had some questions since im fairly new with cnc equipment. I'm looking at building either a 4x4 or 4x8 table with a water tray. Here are some questions i have...

I was looking into buying a plug-n- run cnc dragon cut 620-4 package and software bundle from CandCNC.com and a DIY gantry kit from NeedFulThings Redirect URL but would the kit from candcnc be compatible with one of the kits from NeedFulThings Redirect URL could i see around +/- 0.5" accuracy for the given the size of a 4x4 or 4x8 table?

With SheetCam say you want a clean I.D of a hole can you add or does this program automatically add a start cut path? Say i wanted a square part cut 6.000 x 6.000 will this program compensate for the martial the plasma cutter removes leaving it truly 6x6??

Iv been looking at the Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plasma cutter but is there any other brands that compare to this?

I guess that is all the questions i have for now but i will post more as they come to mind.

On your link for the cutting machine kit...there is not one. Sheet CAM will compensate for the kerf (cut width) which will vary depending on cut speed, material type and thickness, power level, torch height, etc. It will also create proper leadins and lead outs to start and stop your cutting process. The Hypertherm plasma systems are considered the best in terms of consumable life, cut quality and reliability....they are not the lowest priced.

You could send a message to CandCNC and ask them if your choice of machines to use the motors, electronics and software on is compatible.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by LSX View Post
    I'v been looking into a plasma table for a few years now and i have recently done a bit of research and followed a few builds and i think i want to build my own. I do quite a few one off peaces throughout the year (I currently use draft-sight for my programing then just email the DWG file's to a close shop that cuts out my peaces on a water jet) The turn around time is slow since its a high volume shop and they get to me when they can. I plan on doing more things that need to be done on a CNC so i feel it might be time to invest in my own equipment and a CNC plasma set up i feel would fit the build since most of the stuff i will be doing won't need to be tight tolerances, Im mostly looking at doing art based work and some occasional brackets, sprockets etc not only would having a cnc plasma be convenient but i think i would get a lot of use out of it. I had some questions since im fairly new with cnc equipment. I'm looking at building either a 4x4 or 4x8 table with a water tray. Here are some questions i have...

I was looking into buying a plug-n- run cnc dragon cut 620-4 package and software bundle from CandCNC.com and a DIY gantry kit from NeedFulThings Redirect URL but would the kit from candcnc be compatible with one of the kits from NeedFulThings Redirect URL could i see around +/- 0.5" accuracy for the given the size of a 4x4 or 4x8 table?

With SheetCam say you want a clean I.D of a hole can you add or does this program automatically add a start cut path? Say i wanted a square part cut 6.000 x 6.000 will this program compensate for the martial the plasma cutter removes leaving it truly 6x6??

Iv been looking at the Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plasma cutter but is there any other brands that compare to this?

I guess that is all the questions i have for now but i will post more as they come to mind.

Im sorry here is a link that should work NoSleep Studio