586,108 active members*
3,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Breaking taps on retract (Lancer 1500)

Question Breaking taps on retract (Lancer 1500)

Hello everybody,

The company I work for recently bought a used Cincinnati Lancer 1500 with the Acramatic 2100 controller. They tried tapping with it last week and everything went fine till it came time for the retract. The Z axis is wanting to travel faster then it did on the plunge and breaks the tap. The operator thinks it is in the post but I don't have any idea where/what to look at. It is a generic post that i made a few simple changes to on the "pheader". Any one have any ideas on what I need to look at or if it might be a parameter in the controller? Thanks.

Ps: We use MasterCam V9.

Assuming you are using Rigid Tapping, retracting faster should not be a problem if everything is set up correctly, this is commonly used to speed up tapping cycles.

If you are concerned the MasterCam post is at fault, I'd start by just writing a tapping cycle at the machine and see if it works without anything from Mastercam. If you have the same issues, it obviously isn't anything in your post causing the issue.

Even with rigid tapping, you can get better tool life with a tension compression holder:

CNC Rigid Tapping

In your case, that may be the easiest fix, assuming you don't track it down to a post problem.

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

The operator is going to try manually inputting a drill and tap cycle. He said he would let me know how it goes. Thanks for the replies.