586,111 active members*
3,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > ZenBotCNC? Or is ShopBot Worth the extra price?

ZenBotCNC? Or is ShopBot Worth the extra price?

I've talked myself out of the exciting sounding laser cutter and realized that a CNC Router would serve my needs better. I've been doing some research and I'm having a hard time choosing. Pay less for a ZenBot or step up to the ShopBot in hopes of getting more production out of the machine through better support and tightly integrated software. (I'm still fairly new to CNC and learning as I go.)

ShopBot Desktop Starter Kit (24x18) for $5,748.95
    or
    ZenBot $2434

(edited to include more thorough price guess on ZenBot:
    $1099 ZenBot 1624
    $ 399 Gecko Controller
    $ 107 Hitachi Router
    $ 281 Precision Collet and Bit set
    $ 149 Mach3
    $ 299 Vectric Cut3D (or MeshCAM, etc in my price range)
    $ 100 Shipping
    $2434 Total or $2634 for upgrade to 24"x24"
    )

Expected Use:
    3D/profile cutting of 1/4" to 1/2" wood and plastic
    vinyl and cardboard cutting (with drag knife)
    very light aluminum work (bezels, control panels)

So I'm asking for your thoughts on this. I know the ShopBot machine and support are good, but is it worth the extra money? Is the software that good? Or should I save some cash and put it towards a CNC course at the local college/trade school?

I'd really appreciate your input. And if you think there's a machine out there with a better price/quality/support compromise, I'd love to hear that too!

Thanks,
    Mike

I would look more at the Shopbot buddy It will give you way more flexible options bigger table with a power stick you can get 8 ft long cuts. More robust router and like they say everybody with a cnc is a sign guy.

Unfortunately, that would exceed both my budget and my physical space. This is meant for a small prototyping shop. I don't expect to derive income directly form this machine...although that might help pay the bills while this project gets off the ground.

It does sound like you are in favor of a ShopBot in general. Do you find the software good to work with?

Yes I have 2 4x8 shopbots and they are very good machines. They use the Vectric software for design and the shopbot control software to run the machine You can download the control software and play with it in preview mode it is always free upgrades and life time support even if you buy a used one. Their desktop has very high resolution for really detailed work.

ShopBot Desktop Starter Kit (24x18) for $5,748.95
    or
    ZenBot $2434
    If those are your options, I'd say go with the ShopBot. The support they offer is probably worth the price difference.

Honestly, those machines are worlds apart. The Zenbot is made of plastic, the ShopBot is welded aluminum.

Keep in mind that the $281 for the precision collet set will still be needed with the ShopBot. BUt if you're using 1/4" tools, I find the stock PC collets to be fine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's a good point about the precision bits. The other thing I was thinking about was the included software. I think I've heard that it is from Vectric, whose software demos I have really liked. It's probably not easy to do a direct comparison, but if it includes the functionality of Cut3d and VCarve, than that's hundreds of dollars worth of functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by LaGrasta View Post
    That's a good point about the precision bits. The other thing I was thinking about was the included software. I think I've heard that it is from Vectric, whose software demos I have really liked. It's probably not easy to do a direct comparison, but if it includes the functionality of Cut3d and VCarve, than that's hundreds of dollars worth of functionality.
    Shopbots Parts work software is Vectric Vcarve pro just renamed and only able to output Shopbot code everything else about it is the same as Vcarve

So does that mean that true 3D machining would require additional software, such as Cut3D?

You get Both Vcarve Pro and Cut 3d with a new Shopbot. You can Uprade to aspire also