586,106 active members*
3,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Planning 3KW Wind Turbine

Planning 3KW Wind Turbine

Hello everyone,

I own a Brick Manufacturing Plant. The area we have our plant is having serious Voltage Fluctuations. The reason we have not got an electricity connection. Our complete machinery having a load of 40KW is running on Diesel Generator(s).

But that causes serious fluctuations when our 30HP Induction Motors are started during the manufacturing process. This cause the Office equipment to fail. Like A/C, Inverter, Computers, Lights etc.

Since we already are spending a lot on fuel, want to setup an Alternate Source of Electricity. Not another DG set.

I want to know, is it possible to setup a Wind turbine with a capacity of of Atleast 2KW and max 6KW? Can we rotate a Permanent Magnet Generator of, say 3 KW with the concept of wind turbine?

Of course I want to generate AC current and not DC, 220v because of high temperatures of 40Degree in the surrounding. I want my Air conditioner to run. AC capacity, .75TONNE.

You can build or by a windmill of 2KW. They cost $$. Might be a good idea to look at Fieldlines.com: The Otherpower discussion board - Index and see what others are saying and doing. A home built 2KW mill would be somewhere around 17 feet diameter. The tower would be up there around 50 feet to clear trees and rooftops. Maybe higher.

Do you have the room, are county, state, federal regs in place to restrict what you can do?

If you don't want all of the moving parts, you may want to consider solar. Panels can be added incrementally as you have need or money. Get standard high output 200 watt panels and build a system around them. a 2KW system would require at least 10 200 watt panels with a few extra to handle sunrise and sunset positioning.

No matter what direction you go, it will cost hard currency. Wind mills require wind and if your area is not known for wind, then the production will be minimal. If your area is known for sunny days all year long, then solar production will be very good.

Hope this helps.