586,094 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hardinge HXL-S Commissioning Data

Hi All

Have a Hardinge HXL-S with Siemens 810 T controller and was trying to get the machine to home. Anyway I decided to clear all the data from the controller, it is now sitting there powered up and I cannot control/switch on or off. Before I could at least operate the pneumatic devices and receive errors.

Have put in all the parameters by hand but no success and difficult with plastic and rubber hardened by cutting oil over the years.

If someone has any suggestions on a refit, don't want to part the lathe out at the moment as it had collet closer X 2, Hardinge pneumatic bar feeder, cut off slide and part chute. The bed looks in good condition too.

Any help or suggestions very welcome or if someone can assist with some commsioning data, not sure if the CHNC lathe data will do as I have found this on another thread.

Many thanks

Ian

How did you clear the data?
    Please don`t say you took the battery out. :-)

Hardinge HXL-S Data

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I cleared the data through the diagnostic key, didn't really know what I was doing as I was trying to home it.

The machine has not been run for a while and I thought the battery was shot anyway, so yes, i did remove.

I have a development as I have found the commissioning disc and have got it talking to the PC through RS232. I have been trying to transmit the data back int but the DIO word goes off, I stop and then restart and the data keeps going.

I am using DNC Precision, but I think this is better geared up for programs rather than basic file transfer without any start and end characters. With this I could be going down the wrong alley all together so any advice is welcome and will be taken on board as I know I am the worst person for explaining my issues.

Any help welcome.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mariineguyuk View Post
    Hi

Thanks for the reply, I cleared the data through the diagnostic key, didn't really know what I was doing as I was trying to home it.

The machine has not been run for a while and I thought the battery was shot anyway, so yes, i did remove.

I have a development as I have found the commissioning disc and have got it talking to the PC through RS232. I have been trying to transmit the data back int but the DIO word goes off, I stop and then restart and the data keeps going.

I am using DNC Precision, but I think this is better geared up for programs rather than basic file transfer without any start and end characters. With this I could be going down the wrong alley all together so any advice is welcome and will be taken on board as I know I am the worst person for explaining my issues.

Any help welcome.

Ian
    Here is the commissioning data with the program to load it, for a 810T. The BEF file opens with word or notebook and is the instructions for loading.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Mike is quicker than me.If you get stuck come back and tell us.

Hardinge HXL-S Data

Hi Guys

Many thanks so far, I shall give that a try tomorrow, curiosity to get this beast back into action, unfortunately lets other things slip. Gotta do some catching up, another late one.

Thanks again

Ian

I may be quicker in getting the info out, but I'm still stuck trying to get mine going. Anytime I hit "Data In" as in the instructions, my control locks up. I have to shut it off and of course it just locks up again when another attempt is made.

If I hit "Data In" after just firing it up, it locks up then too. I'm so frustrated right now. Just want to get this machine going.

Got to be someone out there who can help!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Getting the Controller to accept data

Hi Mike

I have been trying to get the data into the controller, with mine I get the DIO up in the corner, but stops after approx 600 bytes, this I would expect to be a handshake issue. I then press stop and then start, the file appears to go into the machine.

My main job for some considerable years has been network and communications for small to large enterprise networks, I am however, time served at GEC Gas Turbines, with my engineering knowledge and computing I have married the two to start a business manufacturing for the classic motorcycle industry using CNC machines. It has been a slog and I had to crash learn all the CNC stuff, but I am getting there.

I mentioned a little about my background as within all the networking stuff I cut my teeth on RS232C and other protocols and at one stage knew it very well, little did I know just how much a major part it plays in CNC program loading etc.

With mine even though I have a cable made up in my mind is correct, plus all the other parameters of having to use USB - serial there are a lot of unknowns.

As I said in the beginning mine puts up the DIO and then it goes off and with the handshaking, I just can't workout the reason, I am going to change the cable a little.

I have waffled, apologies, if you try yours and pres the Data-in without the cable plugged into the lathe controller, does the same happen - the machine locks up ?

If it does not it could be the initial character in the wrong area of memory or something.

I will keep you posted on how I get on with mine and hopefully both machines will fire up, as like you, I would really like to use this machine.

Hope I have not sent you to sleep

Many thanks

Ian

The USB can be a source of problems,I have older laptops with serial ports that we use for this.
    It is usual for the DIO to disappear as the programme loads.
    Have you read the Siemens manual for doing this?

Siemens 810T Controller

Hi

I agree, but I have managed to get the USB working with the Mori Seiki with a BTR board I fitted. I have a line monitoring device in line with the cable.

I have alll the diagrams, maintenance and bits and pieces of manuals, I have taken several references from :

http://cache.automation.siemens.com/...0Operating.pdf

When you mentions the DIO goes out, I thought this was an error in the file or program forcing it to drop out, I shall give it longer and see what happens, What made me think the comms had dropped out was the DIO going out and nothing on the screen to tell me a file was loading.

Like I say I shall give it longer to see if the program loads.

Many thanks

ian

Sorry for delay, I have got the data in and machine to home, even had a little program, put in from panel to move axes and start spindle, now the toolpost.

I shall get round to the collet closer and toolpost.

I got this working using default settings in the controller and DNC download program.

I used a laptop with USB conversion to RS232, using windows Vista.
    Placed a inline analyser for the control and data line in the RS232 cable.
    First I transmitted data straight into a hyperterminal window to get some data out, this confirmed port settings and file format.
    I left the settings at 300, sorry will try to get the parity and start/stop bits, I did this just in case the machine and PC were not handshaking and the buffers did not fill, as the PC can buffer a lot more than the Siemens.
    I then configured up the DNC program for the machine, I think there is a very basic one for Siemens, I can get the config file and send.
    I went into the Data receive on the controller and uploaded a file.
    The first file I loaded was a very short one with a couple of lines but with the correct heading for TEA and end characters and here is what I noticed:

The DIO went out and sat there, after a while the controller indicated it received a file TEA1, say, observing this sequence then told me a lot of how the file is handled when in the controller, which is:

The controller, it seems, receives all the file and when it get the End Of File character, it then flashes on the screen the name and stores it.

Larger files take a log time to load, due to speed and older technology and it does seem the machine has locked up, but it is not, this is where the line analyser came in, as I could then see the data and control lines working.

There a set of approx. 4 different parts of the file to load, I loaded them individually, if you have one large file split it into different files and give it a go.

Like I mentioned and apologised for the time taken, I have moved home and workshop recently, been a busy time.

Let me know and I will help.

Ian