586,036 active members*
3,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 1997 VF-3 with HRT11 : not working

1997 VF-3 with HRT11 : not working

Long time lurker first time posting. this may be a long read, trying to be complete with the descriptions and issues.

I have a 1997 VF-3 here at work with 4th axis drive etc.
    The previous owners of this machine was using a 4th axis so I am confident that internal wiring on the machine is good.

We purchased a HRT11 off ebay, well there is no stickers or model numbers on the unit but its a black box with 11 inch table and came with a haas red servo control box and the cable on the indexer has a haas part #. I have the serial number if someone can identify with that.

the rotary works well is the control box but I cannot get it to work on the machine, I have looked at everything i can online and tried to trouble shoot. our local haas outlet has tried but failed to help.

This is what I have done it.
    plug in the rotary,turn on machine, go to setting -enable 4th axis. choose hrt11. release e-stop, reset a couple times and then hit resart/home.

z will home and rotary will move about 3/4 of an inch and then the machine alarms out with a 156 "A axis Z channel missing"

i have played with parameter 43 following other threads with similar issues.

changed " Z channel only" to 1 as it was at 0 - didn't change so I changed it back.

also changed "disable Z T" in the same manner - didn't change.

i have always resets parameters back to what it was originally set at when the machine was dropped off to us.

any help would be great. i would even consider hooking the rotary thru the servo control box into the machine just to make it work.(i have never done that) but would really like to get this sorted out.

i have a big job coming up and want to let the machine run overnight. 280 V grooves .030 deep in a 6 inch OD roller that is 28 inches long. last time i ran it on a bridgeport with this indexers and the control box and took 2 days.

Well I may have just solved my own problem but now very confused.The indexer is a 17 pin brushed type. The wiring on the machine is 17 pin same thing.

I look at the 4th axis servo drive and its a brushless driver. I am pretty sure the Haas tech that originally helped install the machine told us it was wired for brush type 4th axis and that is when we went looking for a rotary. I thought the brushless rotary's where 2 cable?

Something is screwy here.

Do I need to find a brush type drivers?

Thanks
    Ken

Look carefully to see what the numbers on the drives are. Some one may have swapped them.

I have a similar machine, a 1996 VF-2. Those machine were generally shipped with a 4th axis drive that was brush and brushless, it would work for both.

When I installed a 4th I got alarms and could not get it to work. After I opened the door wide and could read all of the drive number, I found that someone had previously swapped a bad Z drive into the A position and the brush/brushless into the Z slot. The Z would work fine of of the combo drive, but not the A on the brushless.

So check your drives closely. Also, look at the door and see what drive was installed at the factory for the 4th axis. It should say on the sticker.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Look carefully to see what the numbers on the drives are. Some one may have swapped them.

I have a similar machine, a 1996 VF-2. Those machine were generally shipped with a 4th axis drive that was brush and brushless, it would work for both.

When I installed a 4th I got alarms and could not get it to work. After I opened the door wide and could read all of the drive number, I found that someone had previously swapped a bad Z drive into the A position and the brush/brushless into the Z slot. The Z would work fine of of the combo drive, but not the A on the brushless.

So check your drives closely. Also, look at the door and see what drive was installed at the factory for the 4th axis. It should say on the sticker.

Mike

Ok Mike here are some numbers.

The original installed drivers according to the sticker are
    x y z axis - 32-5550A Rev B
    aux driver - 32-5550A Rev B

What is in the machine:
    x y z axis - I can only find a small sticker that reads 4015H-G, these drives are anodized gold in color, on the front of the drive it reads "haas brushless servo amplifier"

aux axis - has a sticker on top that reads 32-5550D Rev E and a date on the sticker is 11/20/04, this drive is aluminum in color.

also the power supply for the 4th axis is sitting loose on the bottom of my enclosure. literally just chilling there all wired up but not bolted down. when i shut the machine down i will mount it. i will just need to figure out where it goes.

thanks for the help

Ken

RS 232 to run 4th axis

I am still having issues with the 4th axis but really need to get things moving.

Can someone walk me thru how to run in the rotary using the rs 232 port?
    I need to contact Haas and hope they can help. our local HFO doesnt seem to be able to do much for me and the last 2 techs said they really dont know rotary tables.

thanks again

Ken

issue with 4th axis

hi! i don't think you can run the 4th axis with the rs232, let star back in the beginning, change everything back from parameter 43 to original, check parameter 128, if is + number, change they to - number, if still does'nt work change it to 0, try to zero return, if none are working, you problem need to reset the box, let me know, thamks hdcncservices.com

ok its beens a little while. still havent figured this thing out. so i have a new question.

i was reading the haas rotary manual (96-0315p.pdf) and it says i can send signal to the control box via a 4-pin DIN connector. it uses spare m-code and i would have to program my control box with the rotation movements.

there is the 4 pin DIN connector female plug on the back of my vf-3 and control. anyone ever do this. i only need the thing as an indexer. not a true 4th axis.

how do i determine my spare m-codes and how would it be programmed?

Thanks again
    Ken