586,369 active members*
3,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What are the common failures on a laser

I'm reviewing service policies / options before making a selection on a smaller unit.
    Are there common failures on lasers ?
    For example, if bulbs last 1,000 ? hours , and mine goes out, does a new bulb swap need an experienced technician to adjust / align, or is the job a simple no brainer ?

Hi
    to exchange the tube is not critical and if you ar lucky you dont need to do more then unscrew the holder, take out the wire, disconnect the waterline and put the new one in. reconnect the waterline and let cooling water run untill no bubbles are in the tube anymore very importand every bubbl inside can distroy the tube. then reconnect the wire make sure they are very tight wound around the connector never solder.
    then check the mirrors and alligne them.
    thats it
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by StePraDal View Post
    I'm reviewing service policies / options before making a selection on a smaller unit.
    For example, if bulbs last 1,000 ? hours , and mine goes out, does a new bulb swap need an experienced technician to adjust / align, or is the job a simple no brainer ?

Consider the laser an electro / mechanical device. You have 5 main parts to create a laser engraver. 1. The drive motors and assembly which is used to move the "head" on an x and y axis over the engraving area. 2. Power supply 3. Controller boards. 4. Lenses and 5. Laser tube.

The laser tube would be considered a consumable item. Depending upon your machine you can expect 1000 to 15,000 hours of use depending on many factors including making sure the tube is kept cool, and usage type. Electronics fail, some fail in 2 months, some go 20 years... Motors fail, some go in 2 months, some go 20 years.. Lens generally don't fail. Keep up your maintenance up on your machine per manufacture instructions.

Other factors including the enviroment your machine is in, how well you keep it maintained, how hard you push it will all contribute to how long it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by StePraDal View Post

Laser is quite simple.

The common failures are usually tube, mirrors & lens, controlling card, powersupply,drivers and...

And it is easy for you to replace them later if any problem happens. I think anybody even without any electric technics backgroud can manage the repairing as long as follwing the professional advice from the supplier.

And the friends in the forum can help you. So feel easy!

Melody
    [email protected]

thanks for the replies,
    I suppose I am concerned about whether my under warranty repair will garner a service call, or an invitation to ship my machine ($$$) back for a repair. Hence the request for parameters to inquire on.

personally I like buying used machinery, and usually can make my own repairs, but a cnc machine is new territory.

The systems on the chinese lasers are somewhat modular and easy to fix , would never require a shipping back to china to repair anyway.
    The parts replacement/repairs are easy , however sometimes diagnosing exactly whats wrong is not. Minimum spares you should order with a machine are a tube , possibly a tube power supply , lenses and mirrors
    Suggested spares are a motherboard , lcd panel , belt set , stepper motor and stepper motor driver ..
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za

Hello laser expert,
    Can we use G540 for this laser machine or we have to use a specific driver/bob for laser. Thanks.

I had a laser lens crack on me yesterday.

Luckily I had bought two from an eBay supplier for 14% what the US Supplier was selling one for. I bought the "Better Quality US made lenses", not the "Cheap Chineese crap lenses we supply" that my Machine supplier said they sell..........