I'm working on a postprocessor for a client's Gildemeister Twin42 with Seimens 840D controller. Anyone familiar with this machine knows that Gildemeister uses a system whereby there is a main program which calls multiple subprograms that the user modifies as required. While I'm impressed by the capabilities of whoever came up with this scheme, and see its value for writing programs at the machine control on the shop floor, it really should not be required for someone using a CAM system, and I should be able to simply send one program to the machine without using all these subprograms. However, it seems that the controller depends on the subprograms somehow and I haven't been able to eliminate the subprograms.

Has anyone out there been able to figure out how to run this machine from one program without using the mind-bending subprograms? I'd just like to know if it is even possible before I spend any more time trying to make it work. I've talked to the Gildemeister techs and they tell me just to keep using the Gildemeister scheme, but I think this is just the "company line" being promoted.

Thank you!