586,114 active members*
3,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

configurations

Hi All,

I'm probably missing something here.

I have a small part, with a simple step. Machining this part requires one tool and is very easy.

Now, in reality I have 4 variations of this part, with the steps differing by a depth of 0.2mm.

When I originally modeled the part in SW I used the design table to produce 4 different configurations for each different step.

I've been having another factory make these 4 different parts for me for a couple of years now, but I might as well make them myself as they're not difficult.

So, I just worked through a program to machine the 1st configuration. Done. Now my question is; can I change the configuration and then synchronize the program to this new configuration?

My first attempt says no, as I changed the configuration to the new step but the tool paths stayed as previously programmed.

This is not a big problem (for this part) as there's only 2 MAC positions and a total of 8 operations, so making a file for each different part is not a problem, but I just couldn't see that it was possible to synchronize to the new configuration.

Any ideas?

Hi Matt. What you are trying to do should be possible as SolidCAM have literature about using configurations and DriveWorks. It may be that you have to redefine the component solid model geometry on the alternative configuration and go on from there.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at the driveworks express tutorial later and see if that can be used somehow.

The solidcam help says you can change configuration, but it seems that new geometry must them be selected.

Oh well. Will report back as and when I get time to look through the driveworks stuff.

Hey Matt,

I’ve had success in the past by simply creating a different Target Geometry for each configuration (Targer1, Target2 etc.). That way you use all the same operations, only the actual target changes. Then a quick Sync and Calc and you’re done.

Hey Dengo,

Yeah, I do that a lot too on various strategies that use the 3D model (3D machining & HSM). I fill holes, or use a different configuration to rough something out etc. But this is simple 2D stuff.

It's not a big thing. Just curious.

Cheers,

Matt.

No you can't just change configurations without reselecting new geometry.
    But you can save that model then right click cam part, select change model references and import your new configuration (solid model) from your desktop or file. Then just synchronize and calculate and save as new file in order to separate from original. This save you time from have to reselect most of you new models geometry If things like hole position's move you will need to reselect your geometry then.

Thanks Jess.

Will give that a try at some point.

yes you can

in the cam manager, there is solidworks icon on left ,chose it.
    Then you will see 2 assemblies. The 2. assem. is your part. Right click your drawing, a little menu will apear, top right you will see properties icon. Click it and change another configuration. save the file, in the cam manager tree right click target and check scyncro. you will see the red-green light icon.
    right click target again, and click sycro. it is done,
    calculate all operations.