586,116 active members*
3,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Brown & Sharpe tool help.

I just purchased A Brown & Sharpe Digital Dial Plus 599-1033 dial indicator as "cold" item (just the indicator- no documention, instruction manual, or any other parts...as it stands a paper weight, for now) Can anyone help or guide me to the right info to power this thing? I see a DC plug in and auction sites says it's powered by a 120 VAC adapter or rechargable battery but doesn't explain the DC power or what type of 120 VAC adapter. I can't seem to find an online instruction manual for this particular indicator either, again, need help/ guidance anything that will get this thing going, thanks.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Quote Originally Posted by praetor View Post
    I just purchased A Brown & Sharpe Digital Dial Plus 599-1033 dial indicator as "cold" item (just the indicator- no documention, instruction manual, or any other parts...as it stands a paper weight, for now) Can anyone help or guide me to the right info to power this thing? I see a DC plug in and auction sites says it's powered by a 120 VAC adapter or rechargable battery but doesn't explain the DC power or what type of 120 VAC adapter. I can't seem to find an online instruction manual for this particular indicator either, again, need help/ guidance anything that will get this thing going, thanks.
    Did you ever resolve your problem? I just got one, the AC adapter was bad. Also, the + is on the OUTSIDE of the connector not the inside. The power supply is a 9VDC 300MA ac adapter. It appears that there is a rechargeable battery in the unit. You use the AC adapter to charge it up. I'm looking for a manual. Mine seems to work very smoothly however when it approaches the end of its travel, around .900" it sticks? I wonder if this is a soft stop?

Hey, thanks for the response.

I apologize for the delay of response. I never did resolve it until now, sort of, I put the indicator project on the back burner because I wasn't coming up with anything that helped and I had other projects lined up before, not to mention prepping for the holidays. I had a lull in projects today so i figured i check the response I originally posted.

I don't think I have a battery in mine. I opened the back and all I see is a circular disc plate...nothing that resembles a battery...do you think the power supply would still work?

I couldn't tell (yet) if there is a soft stop, although I could feel a little resistance in the plunger, which may be dirty, at most. I don't want to clean it just before powering it. This way I can tell if it's a similar problem as your or just needs to be cleaned. The power supply you stated was highlighted, i clicked it and it took me to an auction for one at $9.95 free shipping, so i just ordered it and will test my indicator when the adapter comes in. Thanks for the guidance/help...as soon as the adapter comes in I'll keep you posted and have videos of it's first test...in this way we can both see if it is a soft stop or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Did you ever resolve your problem? I just got one, the AC adapter was bad. Also, the + is on the OUTSIDE of the connector not the inside. The power supply is a 9VDC 300MA ac adapter. It appears that there is a rechargeable battery in the unit. You use the AC adapter to charge it up. I'm looking for a manual. Mine seems to work very smoothly however when it approaches the end of its travel, around .900" it sticks? I wonder if this is a soft stop?
    I found I have a few spare 9VDC 300mA [AC] wall adapters and cut the wires to reverse the polarities to fit your description of how the positive but nothing seem to be happening. Do I wait until the battery is fully charged?

I wonder if I need a new battery for it, if so would you happen to know the description of the battery?

OK, I just found this:
    http://www.swissinstruments.com/down...indicators.pdf

at the bottom of the page it shows the exact Brown & Sharpe indicator I have but it states that it requires a 120 volt AC adapter. I don't understand? could this be why we may not be gettingpower to it?

I apologize for the delay of response. I never did resolve it until now, sort of, I put the indicator project on the back burner because I wasn't coming up with anything that helped and I had other projects lined up before, not to mention prepping for the holidays. I had a lull in projects today so i figured i check the response I originally posted.

I don't think I have a battery in mine. I opened the back and all I see is a circular disc plate...nothing that resembles a battery...do you think the power supply would still work?

I couldn't tell (yet) if there is a soft stop, although I could feel a little resistance in the plunger, which may be dirty, at most. I don't want to clean it just before powering it. This way I can tell if it's a similar problem as your or just needs to be cleaned. The power supply you stated was highlighted, i clicked it and it took me to an auction for one at $9.95 free shipping, so i just ordered it and will test my indicator when the adapter comes in. Thanks for the guidance/help...as soon as the adapter comes in I'll keep you posted and have videos of it's first test...in this way we can both see if it is a soft stop or not.
    I didn't put any links in my response. The CNCZONE software does that. As long as the polarity is correct, the correct plug, voltage and current, it should be ok. I need to take the back off mine to see why it sticks toward the end of the travel. Again, be sure you got the right power supply. Keep me posted on your progress, They are very expensive indicators.
    Marty

I didn't put any links in my response. The CNCZONE software does that. As long as the polarity is correct, the correct plug, voltage and current, it should be ok. I need to take the back off mine to see why it sticks toward the end of the travel. Again, be sure you got the right power supply. Keep me posted on your progress, They are very expensive indicators.
    Marty
    Well it turns out the battery seems like it's dying, I tried the 9VDC [300mA] wall adapter and it turned on with all zeros but when I moved the plunger the travel amount gave me a read that remained the same when the plunger returned to it's position, I pressed the "clear" button, things turned off and on, then I saw all zero's with a faint line in each [zero] making it look almost like all 8's. When I disconnected the power, it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. When I pressed the power button, I plugged the power adapter back into it and the numbers went all wonky. So, after testing the battery and getting less then 5 volts read on my DMM I suspect the battery needs replacing, this, after having the dial indicator plugged for nearly eight hours. So i'll be ordering a new battery from Jameco or Newark. I'll keep you posted on the next adventure.

Well it turns out the battery seems like it's dying, I tried the 9VDC [300mA] wall adapter and it turned on with all zeros but when I moved the plunger the travel amount gave me a read that remained the same when the plunger returned to it's position, I pressed the "clear" button, things turned off and on, then I saw all zero's with a faint line in each [zero] making it look almost like all 8's. When I disconnected the power, it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. When I pressed the power button, I plugged the power adapter back into it and the numbers went all wonky. So, after testing the battery and getting less then 5 volts read on my DMM I suspect the battery needs replacing, this, after having the dial indicator plugged for nearly eight hours. So i'll be ordering a new battery from Jameco or Newark. I'll keep you posted on the next adventure.
    Keep me posted on your progress. I take it you took the back off to find the battery? Can you see the mechanism? Wondering if I will be able to see why mine sticks at .900. I assume yours has smooth travel the full distance.

Marty

Keep me posted on your progress. I take it you took the back off to find the battery? Can you see the mechanism? Wondering if I will be able to see why mine sticks at .900. I assume yours has smooth travel the full distance.

Marty
    The battery is found when you remove the face of the indicator, then you'll run into a mother board, unscrew the motherboard and you'll see the battery. I didn't take the back off, I went in via the front (face) of the indicator. I ordered the battery from jameco but it turned out to be the wrong one, so I had to send it back. Now...more waiting. The mechanism is actually a micro glass scale much like the DRO's uses. Mine sticks at around the same distance: .897-.900 I don't know why this is, although the plunger tip has a bit of rust it's not enough travel to the tip to intefere. I'm setting up for video shoot when the [proper] battery comes in. I'll shoot finding and replacing the battery. I'll show the battery and how to find online, then removal and replacement of battery. then we'll charge it up, after and see if that does the trick. Again, I'll keep you posted.

The battery is found when you remove the face of the indicator, then you'll run into a mother board, unscrew the motherboard and you'll see the battery. I didn't take the back off, I went in via the front (face) of the indicator. I ordered the battery from jameco but it turned out to be the wrong one, so I had to send it back. Now...more waiting. The mechanism is actually a micro glass scale much like the DRO's uses. Mine sticks at around the same distance: .897-.900 I don't know why this is, although the plunger tip has a bit of rust it's not enough travel to the tip to intefere. I'm setting up for video shoot when the [proper] battery comes in. I'll shoot finding and replacing the battery. I'll show the battery and how to find online, then removal and replacement of battery. then we'll charge it up, after and see if that does the trick. Again, I'll keep you posted.
    That sounds good. I never thought of removing the face. A youtube video on the disassembly of the face and the replacement of the battery appreciated.
    Interesting then that they both seem to stick at .900ish.
    Marty

I would contact the mfg of the item which is Hexagon Metrology
    Brown & Sharpe

Or if you are looking for any new Brown and Sharpe items I sell them at discounted prices

http://www.lighttoolsupply.com/catal...product&page=2

Thank you,
    Michael Elson
    Light Tool Supply

Thanx for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by LightToolSupply View Post
    I would contact the mfg of the item which is Hexagon Metrology
    Brown & Sharpe

Or if you are looking for any new Brown and Sharpe items I sell them at discounted prices

Shop by Manufacturer: Products by Brown & Sharpe: Light Tool Supply

Thank you,
    Michael Elson
    Light Tool Supply
    I appreciate the info and link but I found this particular indicator
    Locally at a tool consignment place in my area for $14.00! Their website is (www.toolsconsignment.com) That's why
    I'm looking for a replacement battery. It seems the indicator itself is fine
    It's just finding the proper memory battery (4.8 50mAh Ni-Cd)
    Is proving hard to find. So off to email B&S, I made a video of
    Removing the face and battery, will put it up this weekend.

Most battery for indicators and calipers are the SR-44 battery.
    Probably the same one used in Mitutoyo Calipers
    541980 Replacement Battery
    Mitutoyo MyCAL Digital Caliper: Precision Tools: Light Tool Supply

Once you see what battery you need from Brown and Sharpe tech support, I am sure Radio Shack carries it.

Thank you,
    Michael Elson
    Light Tool Supply

I appreciate the info and link but I found this particular indicator
    Locally at a tool consignment place in my area for $14.00! Their website is (www.toolsconsignment.com) That's why
    I'm looking for a replacement battery. It seems the indicator itself is fine
    It's just finding the proper memory battery (4.8 50mAh Ni-Cd)
    Is proving hard to find. So off to email B&S, I made a video of
    Removing the face and battery, will put it up this weekend.
    Did you get anywhere with your indicator?
    Marty

yup...

Did you get anywhere with your indicator?
    Marty
    ...I couldn't find any battery for this particular dial indicator but i did find a tech at baystate that will put a battery together for me for $19.50 + free shipping. I made a video of the dial face removal and of removal of the dead battery but I'm going to wait for the new battery so I can incorporate the installation into video editing.

Alrighty, i have the videos put up on youtube you can follow them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyiS0sxvDw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZxegKu8he4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAGgyKJs5yo

Although i'm still getting incorrect readings, I feel I can learn to tweak it until it's right, any help or a copy of a manual for this indicator would gladly be appreciated. Thank you

Did you ever find a manual for the indicator and did you ever figure out why it sticks at about .900"?
    Marty