586,060 active members*
4,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation New Mill Screen for Mach3

Hi,

Below is a link to an enhanced Mach3 Mill screen. It is very similar to the original Mill screen, but as I do not like to switch the screens a lot, most of the functions are now on the main screen - MDI etc (other screens are still retained with enhancements). The screen will allow you to switch between the jog modes, without any tabbing. Also supported is the MPG mode. When selected you can either use velocity setting, or multi step modes: coarse (0.001" step), or fine (0.0001" step). You can also touch Z, or set your XY zeros directly. This screen has been customized for my pendant, but those are added hotkeys for the off-screen buttons. I have retained the same shortcuts for the on screen stuff, so it will work for everyone.

To install:

Unzip the file somewhere. Copy the 1024.set to the main Mach3 directory (it will overwrite the existing file so you may want to rename the original file). Copy the MillBitmaps to the Bitmaps folder (this will add additional pictures for the screen controls). Same with the macros.

The main screen picture can be seen at:
    www.novalab.org/mc/ScreenShot_MILL.jpg

Download from:
    http://www.novalab.org/mc/Mill_Screen-C.zip

NOTE: use save as option, as this board will not allow direct forwarding.

I also have a new Turn screen, with only one screen, and will release it when the testing is ready.

Let me know of any bugs, or your feedback.

Regards

Chris

Hello Chris,

I can't download the files, also not possible when using Save as...
    What next? Can you mail the files to me?

Cheers,
    Ritsel

Hello Chris again,

It's okay now, with Internet Explorer it went well ;-)
    Thanks!

Cheers,
    Ritsel

Smile Link...

If you have a problem, just navigate to http://www.novalab.org/mc/ . You will also see other stuff you may like there. I use IE, so if you are on Opera etc, you;ll have to do it the way you always do... Let me know how the screen works for you.

Regards,

Chris

cool screen set. i cant see in the pic, what is the sort of purpleish thing in the center left bottom that looks to have a black wheel over each corner? ive only messed with mach2 so forgive me if this is a common feature of mach3, ill have to download the demo of it and see what im missing,

Wink Edge-finder

Glad you like it. The center section is used for setting the tool XYZ. The section you refer to is used for edge-finding (or center-finding). You just jog to the edge and click on appropriate edge (or center) icon, and the SW sets your X or Y (or Z if you look above). The screen gives you two sizes of edge-finders (0.200" and 0.385" is what I have). Soon, there will be a auto touch feature, if you have the digitize input connected. Mine is connected to external LED and a beeper also, which makes it very handy. I always get repeatability below 0.0003" in my home shop.

I never used Mach2, but I think this will work for you. If not just rename the screen back to original 1024.set.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Is it possible to use your screenset using another name (so to rename your screenset without renaming the original Mach3 screenset)?

In your post i see that 2 possible sizes of edge-finders are possible, all english sizes. I use metric sizes, is it possible to set my own metric sizes? If so how do i do that?

Thanks for your help,
    Eric

Hi Eric,

You can rename it to anything you wish. I only use 1024.set to make things easy for me - I never ever use any other screens.

I use two finders (you know the sizes). If you know how to do this, just edit the screen for the values you use. Alternatively, you can type any value in a DRO next to the buttons, and press enter. This value will be used, and will be remembered by Mach until you change it, or press one of the buttons. Similar goes for Z touch.

Also, someone else asked me: "How did you setup your digitizer? The manual makes it seem like you have to buy some expensive probe or something."

I am just using one of the inputs to sense short to ground, which is the machine. In my case it goes thru the pendant, so it also beeps and lights up an LED on a panel when it touches. To auto set the Z I use a small piece of insulated metal, 0.062" thick, connected to this input. When the mill touches the plate, the contact is detected and Z is set. For the edges, I use a modified edge finder. I took out a bulb, and connected the pin to the input. Same principle. You can either do it by manually jogging and pressing the buttons, or implement auto touch script, which drives the axis until the contact is detected. The screens I posted do not have this feature, as the machines vary.

BTW, I use similar setup on the lathe, except my whole QCT is insulated. I do not use the offsets in Mach3. Instead, I index all my tools on a same point on the chuck. Very quick, and the setup can be modified on the fly. Also, very reproducible - better than 0.0001" repeatability on my machine.

Chris

Hi does anyone know how too put the probe setup back in the Mach3 probe section in Mach3, It doesn't show up in the Mach3 I have ? Any HELP THANKS