586,379 active members*
2,492 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > I'm desperate, need advice on choosing electronic kit, pls help !

Exclamation I'm desperate, need advice on choosing electronic kit, pls help !

Hi, I want to build my first cnc machine around some plans I found over the internet and want to design a cnc with about 32"x23"x"5" cutting area, so the idea is to make a large cutting area for my hobby projects and to be able to cut hardwood, acrylic, MDF, thin copper sheet with no problems with a decent speed. I will make the cnc structure out of MDF...the only problem now is that I'm on a low budget, but first, I try to find a good combination, cheap and strong of a -3 axis kit-. I found some options, and I want to show you before I buy them - what would be the best choice:

1. CNC Router kits 3Axis Nema 23 Stepper Motor 425oz-in,3.0A Dual Shaft Wantai CNC Mill Control - costs 310 $ (including shipping) -> (a problem I see with these chinese products after reading some posts is that the driver can break quickly or the stepper motors are not as powerful as they say - my only fear is not loosing my money if I get bad products )

2. HobbyCNC PRO Driver Board Packages - 3 axis w/(3) 305 oz.in - 4,2V 3A Steppers - costs 355 $ (including shipping)

3. 3-Axis NEMA23 CNC Kit (36V/9.7A/270 oz-in/KL-4030) - costs 410 $ -> (or the 425oz version + 50 $ more)-expensive though :P

4. 3 axis CNC driver Bipolar + 3 x 1.9Nm(269oz.in)Stepper motors - cost 250 $ (with the 269oz.in steppers)-> (or 425oz.in - 15$ more for each)
    Driver Specs:
    3-axis driver control - 3 stepper motors with a maximum current of 3.5 A per phase
    The driver is bipolar and can be connected stepper motors with 4, 6 and 8 wires.
    Over sized radiator cooling, done very efficiently in most cases do not require ventilation.
    LPT parallel port connector direction and step pulse step / dir so it is compatible with most software for numerical control, Mach3, Turbo Kcam CNC, EMC etc.
    3A peak current 3.5 A maximum continuous
    Power supply 30V maximum recommended single source 24v
    Micro steps 1/1, 1/2, 1/8, 1/16
    PWM current adjustment in 4 steps.
    Relay 10A cutter control of software
    3 Position Control Selectable induced current.
    Overheating protection,

5. 4 Axis Bipolar Microstep Stepper Motor Driver CNC4X35A + same stepper motors versions as previous - costs 315 $ (with 269oz.in motors)

That's all I could find more reasonable on price/performance...or I could try to make DIY drivers, controller and power supply to be more cheaper, but I would encounter a lot of problems and maybe slow performance on them, so I think I remain on these 5 options, unless you could give me better ones.

What would be the best option on price/performance you recommend for what I want to achieve ? Please help !

Sorry for the bad english
    Thanks in advance

What would be the best option on price/performance you recommend for what I want to achieve ?
    It's more money, but the Gecko G540 offers the best performance for the price.

CNC Stepper Motor Kit: , Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Automation Technology Inc
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes, I know Gecko 540 is the best, but its too expensive for me now (maybe I will upgrade to this when I make some profit out of my cnc if I can, that's my idea for now...I don't want to spend all my money and realize I can't get any money of it).
    Is there other option from what I listed that is enough for what I want? (Only shipping costs me 70$ )

Thank you

If you're on a budget and can handle a soldering iron: consider this one:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...cb_design.html

The chip used here is better and more performant than the TB6560 on the poor quality chinese boards wich are in some of your links.

PCB's and eventually part kits are available:
    http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20ele...THB6064AH.html

Regards,
    Luc.

I love my 5056D drivers... Does a G540 have the option for Half Current to keep heating to a minimum?

The G540 has auto current reduction when the motors aren't in motion.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack23 View Post
    Hi, I want to build my first cnc machine around some plans I found over the internet and want to design a cnc with about 32"x23"x"5" cutting area, so the idea is to make a large cutting area for my hobby projects and to be able to cut hardwood, acrylic, MDF, thin copper sheet with no problems with a decent speed. I will make the cnc structure out of MDF.
    Your CNC requirements and cost limits are exactly the same as mine, but I'm new to the subject and haven't done much research yet.

What CNC plans did you find that you will be using to construct the platform using MDF?

We keep hearing from folks who buy those alluringly inexpensive kits from China via Ebay, and can't get them to work, or they don't work well, or they die unexpectedly. One fellow bought two of them with similar results, and now is sorry he didn't buy something decent in the first place, as he could have done with the same expenditure in money (and a lot less in torn-out hair).

If the system you buy works well, then you won't need to upgrade it after making money with it. If it doesn't, then you won't make any money, so you still won't upgrade. I'd say save up until you can afford something that's really going to work the first time.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Amen to that Awerby. Isn't there a saying like, "Do it right the first..." I can't remember the rest.

Yes, you convince me enough. I'll wait until I have enough money to buy a good kit that will ensure me greater chances of good working :P.
    Thanks !