586,032 active members*
3,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Rewinding treadmill motor for Gecko 320

Rewinding treadmill motor for Gecko 320

Hi, I'm running 62vdc for my steppers and I want the dc spindle motor to run the same voltage. A gecko320x runs the spindle and kelings run the steppers, all drives are rated for 80vdc max.
    So, I have a 180vdc 4 amp treadmill motor.
    It's perfectly feasible to build a 62vdc 20amp motor from this with bucketloads of torque and revs is it not?

The reedy modified rs540 in my tamiya frog in the 90's was essentially just the same deal, chuck out the long thin wire and put in the short fat stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by D.L View Post
    So, I have a 180vdc 4 amp treadmill motor.
    It's perfectly feasible to build a 62vdc 20amp motor from this with bucketloads of torque and revs is it not?
    couple quick comment/guesses from someone who works with different windings in motors daily..... maybe.

main issue will be if commutator can handle the higher current - you will have to let a good motor shop look at it and decide if it can handle the 12a cont (not 20a), 24amp peak when it was originally made to handle 4 amps cont prob 8 peak.

buckets of torque? hee hee! torque will remain the same as you have now, so if the present 30#-in cont torque (guess from your 1hp motor) is boat loads, then, yep, it will still have em.

Why not pick up a KB/Baldor 240v DC controller, many come up on eBay and would be much simpler than the effort to rewind the motor, believe me.
    By rights you would have to have the armature shellac dipped and baked afterward to avoid windings being flung, then balanced.
    If you can live with the lower RPM then use a 120v version.
    Also as Mike suggested the Com but also the brushes may not be designed to take that current.
    I just noticed you are in Australia so the 240v version would be the better choice?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I'm trying to avoid brands like yasakawa, baldor, mitsubishi. I work on industrial cncs and anything goes wrong with those high end brands, put on a blindfold and carry a blank cheque.

I've these dc pm motors coming out of my ears, nice and cheap, a bit dated but hey, most of us are converting chinese mills with soft iron slideways so hellish rapid feeds are of the cards, aim for torque and rigidity.

Thats where a dc spindle fits the picture.

KB/Baldor SCR drives are not really High end, they are simple full wave SCR controllers, although you can also get the PWM version,
    I have picked them up for as little as $20.00 on ebay, even new they are not that much, especially if you get the bare, non-enclosure version.
    KBIC-240 etc.
    DC Drives Chassis and DC Chassis Drive
    Many fitting T.M. motors to Chinese mills and lathes use these.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.