586,114 active members*
3,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Breathable MDF male mold with formaldehyde question

Breathable MDF male mold with formaldehyde question

Hello everyone,

I didn't see a section reserved on this huge forum for introductions, so I'll quickly post one here along with my question. First off, I love this forum! I have access to a 5'x9' CNC 3 axis router, 3D scanner, laser engraver/cutter, 3D printer and some other great tools! I'm hoping to share and learn as much as I can. My knowledge of everything woodworking and CAD/CAM is limited, but I'm trying to learn everything.

Background of Question - I'm trying make a male mold out of MDF that will be used with sheets of plastic that will reach 300 - 500 Degrees Fahrenheit. The sheets of plastic will hold their form, but will be floppy when heated to this temperature. The mold and plastic sheets will go into a vacuum box, and the end plastic product will be created.

Question - I won't be using MDF with formaldehyde so what would you all recommend for a breathable mold that is rated for 500 Degrees Fahrenheit? Also, is there any coating/finishing that I can use on the MDF to help hold it's form but is still breathable? Or should is there another material besides MDF I should just go with?

Thanks!!!

Hi, don't know much about the the heat resistance or the with formaldehyde of this product, but for the breathabily, the best one that I know about is TRUPAN,
    Maybe you can do a search on this one.
    Hope this will help you out