586,299 active members*
3,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question SX3 spindle speeds

Ok, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but is there any easy fix to the low spindle speed of a stock X3 mill?

My question/problem is that I would like to use small cutters, on the order of 1/8" on brass. If I understand feeds n speeds, there is no way to get decent quality cutting out of a 2000 rpm spindle head. If I am wrong, please forgive me, I"m just learning.

With that said, what is the smallest cutter I can expect to use with this machine? Assuming I will be cutting brass, steel, and such. I got this machine because I plan on a very small work envelope and the bed travel is more than satisfactory. I didn't want to get a Taig because I wanted the rigidity.

I have a CNC Fusion kit installed, with Mach 3.

Said partially tongue in cheek....

Since I didn't get any response to my questions, I will attempt to answer them based on the response I received.

Ok, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but is there any easy fix to the low spindle speed of a stock X3 mill?

A: Just check out previous threads. Don't bother us with questions that have been asked a thousand times. The answer is yes.

My question/problem is that I would like to use small cutters, on the order of 1/8" on brass. If I understand feeds n speeds, there is no way to get decent quality cutting out of a 2000 rpm spindle head. If I am wrong, please forgive me, I"m just learning.

A: Please go back to the books and learn speeds and feeds, we have more important things to do than answer questions that can be resolved by a little bookwork. Besides if you don't fully understand feeds n speeds you should stay away from sharp objects. If you do fully understand speeds and feeds you wouldn't be wasting our time with this questions.

With that said, what is the smallest cutter I can expect to use with this machine? Assuming I will be cutting brass, steel, and such. I got this machine because I plan on a very small work envelope and the bed travel is more than satisfactory. I didn't want to get a Taig because I wanted the rigidity.

A: See second half of above answer.

I have a CNC Fusion kit installed, with Mach 3.

A: Are you bragging or complaining....

Possibly fit a BLDC controller fed off of 240vac such as A-M-C etc and run the motor at its maximum rated RPM, instead of half as it comes?
    That is if it is the motor and controller I am thinking of!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You can add add a secondary high speed spindle. One of these might be suitable:
    Dental 35K RPM Electric E-Type Micro Motor For Marathon & Low Speed Handpiece | eBay

I will try making my own using abec 3 skate bearings.

There is this link also, High Speed Auxiliary Mill Spindle Plans
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I mounted a dewalt 611 trim router to my X3 and it works great.

Its rigid, fast and quiet and it's the spindle of choice among the small cnc router crowd.

I plan on disabling the soft start feature on it and then adding an aftermarket speed control for it to slow it down, useful for some applications. The slowest speed right now is about 15k. Top speed is over 27k.