586,052 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Spindle orientation for a tool change. VMC10 - VMC15

Spindle orientation for a tool change. VMC10 - VMC15

I did and extensive search on the fadal forum. I have seen several suggested solutions, and just though I might see if any new ones may come up.

My issue: When the program calls for a tool change in the program the spindle jogs in forward and reverse rapidly then spits out an alarm about sprindle orientation, and will not change the tool.

Old bandaid solution was to orient the magnet under the Orientation sensor at the M01, then the solenoid would lock out into the detent on the pully body make the tool change and continue the run.

My thoughts are that I can adjust the sensor to the .025-.050 gap, or replace it. I cannot find a part number for this sensor if I am to replace it though.

I am also worried about how the air solenoid has stopped locking into the detent. Any idea why that might be?

Matt D.

Matt
    I had to replace the encoder disc on my fadal. it came from the factory, but many parts places sell them. its basically a rebuilt kit if I remember correctly.
    mine wasnt the sensor. it did give an alarm I thought I posted it here back in 2004/05?

Thank you. I will see if I can do a search for it. Encoder disc is the object that has the magnet in it?

Doing the manual tool changing isnt any fun and doubles my production time.

The encoder disc would be on the tope of the spindle motor? The sensor I am trying to locate a part# for is on the center section of the spindle above the spindle drive pully.

FADAL MACHINE DOCUMENTATION

The VMC 15 parts manual shows the section as part #31 of page 4. Item 31 has the sensor threaded out of the bottom of it pointed at part #26 in the 7500rpm spindle exploded drawing.

Hope that gives a better visual of what I am trying explain.

Matt D.

Call your Fadal parts supplier on the telephone. Explain to them your problem and what you think you need to correct it. They will help you diagnose the problem and let you purchase replacement parts. If for some reason it ends up being the incorrect part, they will work with you on returning unneeded items.

The issue may be in the last sentence in your post (the locking piston)

If it is not in place the spindle will move off the magnet sensor (on the spindle pulley) and then hunt, maybe the cause of the spindle error

Run m19 with the head cover off and check for air leaks
    If the locking piston does not engage check it is getting air and if not check the solenoid is getting power

I had a lengthy email discussion with Fadalcnc.com. We narrowed the issue down to two problems. I need a new air actuator cylinder and sensor. Once I pulled the sensor out it was clear that it was set incorrect and the face was scratched, gouged, and worn off half way across the diameter of the face. The M19 was supplying air but the actuator was not responsive. So I need both items.

I will post my results once I have my producs installed.
    Thank you guys for the help. This is a great rescource.

Matt D.

Parts will be here in the morning. Hope this solves the problem.

So the the spindle still jogs in forward and reverse. Then throws the same orientation alarm.

Guess those parts are not the issue.

is the orientation sensor seeing the magnet

di = display input
    ds = display switches

x to exit (or di x to exit)

wiggle the spindle, with the magnet under the sensor and look for a state change on the screen (cant remember which one)

also
    does the spindle run ok at low speed (encoder feeback issue ?)

Spindle Orientation issues

Hi guys,

I am having very similar issues with my Fadal (Fanuc 0i Control)

If I try to orient the spindle, by M6 tool change, or in MDI and use M190 then I get this error:

9081 SPN 1 :S-SPINDLE ERROR (AL-081)

And if I try to synch the motor/spindle with M84 I get:

1174 M84 LOGR ARBITRARY DATA ERROR

I checked the voltages and it gives 20.3V with the magnet away and 0V with the magnet in line with the sensor. The cables from the sensor all the way to the JYA3 drive socket seem fine.

However, It hasn't been totally dead as last week it did orient a few times, but from the end of last week, all week end and today it won't work.

Is there a chance that the sensor on the motor is at fault? I took the motor cover off to have a look at this, but I don't know what I need to check. I just wanted to see if it was in good condition, which it appeared to be. What gap should there be from the sensor to the toothed gear? Also, what reading should I look for at the connectors?

I really don't know what to. So called technicians that allegedly understand Fanuc control also have no idea. I'm at a loss, but I don't want to just go replacing parts for the sake of it unless I know that's the problem as it'll get expensive very quickly.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

TIA.

I've also posted this in the Fanuc section just in case.

Spindle runs fine at low speed. In the DI - DS screen it shows the value change to a 1 from a 0. So it is recognizing the magnet.

My next option is to replace the pulley that has the magnet in it. The upper race that the Air actuator locks into seems very worn.

check the high-lo range pistons are not snagging (cant remember if it drops to low range to orientate)

found this in the troubleshooting docs (the flowcharts are vgood)
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

docs can be found here http://www.fadalcnc.com/page.cfm/fad..._documentation

hope it helps

It seems that my machine will change tools in the high range, but not low. So I'm suspecting that a sensor is not working as it should be. I'll look into it in a couple of hours when the machine has finished it's cycle. Obviously I need to be in the lo range to tap, so rigid tapping is still not possible, but I've got around that with a floating tap holder.

Any thoughts before I get into it?

Hey Guys,
    Sometimes all that is required is to adjust the orientation factor in the parameters settings. Note your current setting and then try a number a couple numbers higher and lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyad1 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Sometimes all that is required is to adjust the orientation factor in the parameters settings. Note your current setting and then try a number a couple numbers higher and lower.
    +1 on that. We repalced our VFD and had to tune it in. This was one thing we had to tweak. Go small increments then check with an M19 from 3000 rpm, then if that looks good do 8,000 rpm and M19.
    Still working in the "D".