586,701 active members*
2,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 5 AXIS CNC STEP MOTOR DRIVER-OPINIONS PLEASE?

5 AXIS CNC STEP MOTOR DRIVER-OPINIONS PLEASE?

Need some opinions and guidance on this, is it good for a duel driven gantry and a turning station?

Looks to be an easy hookup.

Thank you for your input,
    Craig

5 AXIS (TB6560) CNC STEP MOTOR DRIVER [CNC5AIXS55] - $149.99 : CNC Driver ARM Ulink 5-axis BDM Keil Mill - CNCGeeker.com Univelop Tech. LLC, CNC

5 AXIS CNC STEP MOTOR DRIVER 's features:

HUGE improvements from TA8435 based boards **
    Resolution: Full step, 1/2, 1/8,1/16 selectable via switch for each axis.
    Absolute maximum ratings: 40VDC @ 3.5 amps(peak)/phase motor output per axis *
    PC parallel port DB25 connector has being installed onboard.
    Adjustable motor current at 100%, 75%, 50%, 20% of full current by on-board switch
    Supports different 4 Wire, 6 Wire and 8 Wire stepper motors for 3 axis drive.
    Built-in overheat protection circuit in TB6560
    This board is tested through KCAM, Mach 2/3, touborCNC CNC software.
    This board has been used in different design 3D engrave machines, millers, routers.
    Double Buffer for Interface and Driver for reliable Driving and protecting Computer and driver board.
    1KV, 10 Mbps high speed Optocoupler for full elimination to protect Computer and driver board.
    Step Current(r) Technology included: Step Current technology is used to decrease the current upto 1/2, when motors are in idle for all axis so as to protect expensive step motor and driver board for long time running.

* See TB6560 Datasheet by TOSHIBA. The full current is preset at 2.5A by resisters for this board (you can adjust it by changing them).
    **Comparison between TA7835 (used in Univelop V1.0 CNC driver) and TB6560 (used in V2.0 CNC driver board):

CNC Kit 5 Axis NEMA 23 Stepper Motor *5+ TB6560 Driver Controller gi | eBay

Another possible solution... This one comes with motors but if your just looking for the board its considerably less in the sellers store. FYI I have not tried these I was just searching and came across these on eBay

The choice of motors and drives depend on the construction of your machine and what you want to do with it. It's better to do this first and then look for drives and motors.

Also have a look at this:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...y_chinese.html
    The TB6560 isn't the most reliable chip.

The machine is a 48x48 all steel construction with R/P drive on both x axis rails as well as the y axis on the gantry. For motors and electronics I do currently have are NEMA 23 (3)425-oz steppers (2) to drive the x axis (1) to drive the y axis and (1)355-oz stepper to drive the z axis. I have the KL430 Drives with C10 BOB. The C10 is only capable of a 4 axis set up. I would like to add a fifth axis turning station.
    Thank you for any help.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CStevens6 View Post
    I have the KL430 Drives with C10 BOB. The C10 is only capable of a 4 axis set up.
    Are those drives KL4030? 40VDC, 3A.
    These are much better spec'd than those TB6560's: recommended 24VDC and 2-2.5A max. (Don't look at the Ebay add values, those are absolute maximum and peak values).

I would keep what you have if it works for you and change the BOB or add a 2nd port and C10.

Thank you both for your responses.
    My patience in an educated response was well worth the wait. If I am correct here I did not know you could run the same machine off two separate BOBs with two ports at the computer end for program/code delivery. If this is incorrect please correct me.
    Thank you lucas for the valuable technical information.
    Happy Holidays
    Craig

Mach does, I'm not sure about the others.

Wich are you using?

lucas,

Thank you. I am currently in the process of wiring the machine, I had planed on using Mach from the beginning.

Since you have knowledge of electronics I would like to ask if you might be able to give me some guidance as to how to hook up limit/home switches? The switches I have are OMRON ZE-N2S with 3 terminals "C" - "NC" - "NO".

Let me know if this will be possible, if so I will give you more details as to the parts I have to work with and you might be able to give me your input as to how to set them up.

Thank you,
    Craig

I do know a bit of electronics but am not an expert on MACH3 setup. There are other's here who know it much better.

There are a lot of different configurations possible.
    You have 2 motors on the X, are they "slaved" ?
    If so do you want the home function in Mach to square the axis?

You might have a look at some of these video's, they are really good:

ArtSoft USA - Video Tutorials

lucas,

Thank you for your help and time I really appreciated it.

Craig