586,115 active members*
3,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Laser Doctor Returns to answer your Co2 questions

Hi all. Its the Laser Doctor and I'm back. I can answer most any question regarding Co2 lasers, types, makes, models etc. I can help with repair questions for refilling Co2 laser tubes and trouble shoot optical and electronic problems. Please just ask.

I've started a wiki to try to keep as much information in 1 place that I can find. I never played with a laser cutter yet... It should arrive in 3 week.

You can contribute / check the info I put if you want,

http://wikilaser.net/

Moc

Laser Doctor LoL You are so kind and great.

I'm not a fan of any China laser. Glass laser tubes are just not the way to go. Glass breaks a lot, you receive very few "lasing hours" with them. You loose production time by constant replacement and glass doesn't have the power or energy for good cutting. Always consider an RF laser. You will always pay more for RF, but the reliability, longevity, power density are second to none. Also, always remember to support USA laser companies first. We need them!

Well said Laser Doctor!

Matt

Thank you!

This is the Laser Doctor signing off today. I will see you tomorrow, same laser time, same laser channel.......

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Doctor View Post
    remember to support USA laser companies first.
    And if i'm living in Europe?? or the rest of the world? i don't have very good experiences with US-sellers.. rediculous shippingcosts, huge customsbills, enormous delays in delivery...just to mention a few..

I like mochouinard's initiative.. if i could contribute any substantial items, i will..

Kees

Laser Doctor,
    Can you show me some samples RF laser which is equivalent to CO2 40 watt or 60 watt power and where to buy? Can we just replace the CO2 laser tube with RF laser in the machine? What different RF laser and CO2 laser tube?

My experience with U.S. laser companies has been less than stellar.

The machine was shipped directly from China, then never worked. The SECOND machine was shipped from Las Vegas and it too, didn't work.

Customer service was great, until things started to go wrong with the second laser, then it turned nasty.

I have recently bought a much larger laser from a Chinese company and it has been smooth sailing the whole way. It worked straight out of the box and build quality is superb - unlike the U.S. lasers that I had received.

I guess it is really a case of Buyer Beware, no matter where you buy from, but saying "support US lasers first" isn't something that those in the rest of the world should do, as we often don't have consumer laws to back us up when things go wrong (not that we would have with a Chinese machine either)

A thorough Google search of any company you plan to deal with is what I would first suggest, to see if there have been any problems with the company you intend to buy from. In some instances though, this may be misleading, as an Internet Forum OWNED, MODERATED AND RUN by the company will not be an ideal yard stick with which to measure the quality of the build of their products and the veracity of their claims.

Bec Weir...

I believe the laser Doc, when refering to "U.S. laser companies" is referring to actual U.S. laser manufactures (like Epilog), and NOT U.S. companies that sell chinese machines (like Full Spectrum). BIG difference. I believe from reading your other posts that you dealt with FSL, which just sells Chinese lasers.

If you don't live in the US , the patriotism means nothing , I live in South Africa ...couldnt really care about Jingoism.

The realities of High $ Rf vs cheap glass boils down to a business decision ..and glass wins big time. I do serious production , 6 RF tubes lasers and 2 glass chinese , my glass tubes last almost as long as my Rf , but cost 1/10th of the price and do 99% of what the RF's can do. RF tube manufacturers are ripping us off with regard to pricing IMO.
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za

I agree with you Rodney Gold, I have a UL and have had epilog they are good solid machines but so are some of the ones coming out of china for 1/10 the price, retubed the UL for 2600.00 for a 30 watt tube.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burni...07304665958314

www.burningimpressions.ca

I have to agree with you guys. I've been looking into a system and have been agonizing over the choice between a system like Epilog or a Chinese unit. For the price difference, I can get a Chinese unit, many spare parts, and still be far ahead budget wise. I've not been able to personally compare the machines, but I do respect those of you who have actually used both types of machines. Rodney, I've read many of your posts on this site and elsewhere, and I thank you for your valuable knowledge. Even with some of the shortfalls of Chinese systems, for a small business owner, it's hard NOT to seriously consider the far cheaper system, even if it means a slight loss of precision, a bit more elbow-grease and some additional spare parts. Rabbit Laser USA may be hearing from me soon. ;-)

Well, I've seen to found an area people have concern about. I was referring to US manufactures laser systems, for US based companies. Certainly when abroad you should investigate all companies and research them thoroughly.

For the gentlemen with the comparison DC tubes versus RF tubes. Unfortunately your information is just wrong., The way the DC laser works electrically, and the RF laser works capacitivley are completely different. DC tubes will only lase a few hundred hours, RF lasers will last thousands of hours. This is physics of the laser beasts. Always choose what works right for you.

For all business owners. I'm not here to debate politics of countries that sell this laser engraving equipment. I here to be a technical resources for the Co2 laser in general. Price is always a consideration for any "type" of laser purchase. I can provide you the reasons why one is better than the other technically or physically. What you purchase makes no difference to the Laser Doctor.

Hi Laser Doctor,

I've got a question regarding optimum laser power for doing both cutting & engraving. Reading around on this forum and others, some have mentioned about 80watts being about the max for engraving purposes. I'd like to be able to do fairly fast cuts in 1/4" material, with the capability of 1/2" acrylic, while still being able to doing quality engraving. Is there an optimum power for this? 60w? 80w? I'd be looking at non-RF lasers, most likely Reci tubes.

Thanks for offering to answer questions, can you give us some background about yourself? Do you work in the laser industry? Where did you obtain your vast knowledge on lasers?

Hi laser doctor
    I have to disagree I am working with cheap chiniese glaslaser tubes since 3 years who have to work pretty hard. I need one a year with 8 hour shifts and they all last about 1,200 to 1,500 hours. but I never use more then 85% power in my case 16mA and my cooling water stays at 66 F +/- 2F to make the tube last a long time to hold this parameter is absolutly importand.
    after my exerience with quite a few people who I help to educate I found out that most try to cut something what usually is not easy to cut with the tube power that they use 100% power without checking how high the current is what goes in to the tube and overpowering the tube.
    just my experience
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Doctor View Post
    For the gentlemen with the comparison DC tubes versus RF tubes. Unfortunately your information is just wrong., The way the DC laser works electrically, and the RF laser works capacitivley are completely different. DC tubes will only lase a few hundred hours, RF lasers will last thousands of hours. This is physics of the laser beasts. Always choose what works right for you.

Page 1 of 5 123