586,329 active members*
5,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Just ordered my TL-1

OK after months of research (including threads on this forum) I decided to buy a new TL-1. Should be here by the end of january. Ordered it with the 4 position turret, full enclosure, rigid tap, spindle orient. I can't wait. Would someone like to feed my addiction and post more TL pics until I get mine? I will post pics of mine with comments/review after I get it.

We got ours in June. We use it for simple short runs and first ops. It takes some of the load off of our SL10. Have not found the semi auto mode to be all that useful. The enclosure (although expensive) should be handy as the standard setup requires installing "gutters" front and rear, to keep coolant from drooling down the bed casting. We intalled a Dorian Quadradex but found most tooling setups only allow us to use 3 stations. We are considering installing a second dedicated toolholder at the extreme rear of the cross slide just for drilling. If anyone has done this or has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Question TL-1 Price Increased $2000 Jan 1

Just noticed Hass bumped up base price of TL-1 by 2 grand. I ordered mine last year. Hope they hold the old price for me.

Here is 2 pics of my TL-2.

The first is when I had unwrapped my new toy and the second is my toy on his place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1497.JPG   IMG_1601.JPG  

Thanks for the pic's Wiseco. Did your machine come with leveling feet? Or should I try to get some before my machine shows up?

yes it came with leveling feet.

Anyway, when your will received it and it will be at his place, electrical connected, a technician from haas will come to level and made the first startup of the machine plus he will give you a 4h course of how to use your lathe.

I having really good time playing with mine!

TL-1 Just arrived!

Much longer than expected but It finally arrived.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Img2365.JPG   Img2367.JPG   Img2369.JPG  

Congratulations. Shes a beauty. It seems like only yesterday my TL-1 landed, pretty damn exciting.
    So why the lengthy delay? HAAS just took that long after indicating a shorter delivery??
    I hope that doesn't happen to me on my VF2. Two months is what I was quoted and I'm in Calif.
    I read a article in CNC-West mag that they are shooting for 1000 machines a month with this HUGE new pallet pool system they installed. Damn! Kinda worries me in that quality may suffer by pushing them out the door so fast.
    Enjoy that machine. I love mine.
    Get one of those small High intensity flood work lights and mount it to one of the bolts on the arm right above the control pendant. Perfect spot. I even saw one in gray at home depot the other day.

ordered my tl-3

i ordered my tl-3 3-24-06 to be shipped 6-02-06 man do i need it now (chair) (chair) (chair)

Quote Originally Posted by xyzcnc
    Much longer than expected but It finally arrived.
    It looks just like mine only cleaner. Shipping delays seem to be the norm with Haas these days; I have a GT20 that was supposed to have arrived on March 30 and now is due (maybe) next week.

By the way have you seen the literature on the proposed Haas big bore TL and I mean big; 8-1/2" or so !!!!

Haas TL1

Hi,
    Let me know how much you pay for that TL1. Thanks. Aristo

More Pics

I always craved more pics while waiting for mine to show up. By the way mine took a little longer because of a mix up on my part submitting proof of funds/financing to Haas and I missed the original production place holder. Cost around $32,000 with lots of options. (List price, no dealing). This was before Haas' latest price increase. Would probably be another $3,000 at todays pricing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Img2371.JPG   Img2372.JPG   Img2373.JPG   Img2374.JPG  

Img2376.JPG   Img2379.JPG  

Haas TL1

XYZCNC,
    Its good price for nice machine. What you are going to do with this lathe. Making some parts? Thanks. Aristo.

Seems kinda redundant to have the chuck gaurd when you have full gaurding doesn't it, but I suppose that is the only way it comes.

Geof, where did you here about this big bore lathe. I have not seen anything on it. I knew they had the TL-3W with big swing but still not very big through hole

JP

JP; I received a catalog from our local Haas dealer called "What's New 2006". I was intrigued by their big bore machine because it is comparable to what I knew as an 'oil country lathe'.

Regarding the chuck guard it is redundant; we took it off because it is in the way most of the time. There is a proximity sensor that detects when the guard is open so with it completely removed the sensor does not detect anything and the machine runs normally. After a chip had been thrown up and stuck to the sensor giving us a 'door open' signal we covered it with a plastic cap.

Whats up with those machined grooves running down the top of the chip chute? My early model doesn't have those.

Ok I found it on thier website under the westec press pack. They are talking a TL-3B with a28" chuck and 8.5" bore. They also have listed a TM-3 a GT-10 a SL-20 Long Bed a TM-1 Production (fully enclosed like a VF) and a High precision toolrom lathe (looks like a Hardinge)

Wish I had a bunch of money to spend!

JP

Grooves at top of chip chute

"Whats up with those machined grooves running down the top of the chip chute?"

For the optional steady rest.