586,119 active members*
3,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Tool numbering strategy?

Is there any common or standard strategy for tool numbering? Like 100 space for each size etc..

I was thinking of possibly getting short and long cutters, 2 and 4 flute (maybe 3 too), flat/center cutting and ball nose (plus some outside radius cutters) and predefining the numbering regardless of if I have that cutter or not. That way, I will quickly be able to confirm i have the right tool.... (process guy, can't help it - I realize it doesn't matter a ton for a hobby toy)....

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Is there any common or standard strategy for tool numbering? Like 100 space for each size etc..

I was thinking of possibly getting short and long cutters, 2 and 4 flute (maybe 3 too), flat/center cutting and ball nose (plus some outside radius cutters) and predefining the numbering regardless of if I have that cutter or not. That way, I will quickly be able to confirm i have the right tool.... (process guy, can't help it - I realize it doesn't matter a ton for a hobby toy)....
    I use T-1 for my standard T-2 is my smallest tool like 1/16 and I go from there working my way to the biggest and longest.

Carlboe

I number my z-gauge tool 1, end mills 2-19, drills 20-29, chamfers 30-39. Haven't needed more than that so far.

Wooden Payload Guest
    If you need a process for doing it, maybe just have a range of numbers that is for each tool type, rather than pre-defining a number for each tool you might get. More than likely, you will buy and random tool that you didn't plan for and you'll be upset that it has a random tool number that doesn't line up.

I set up the tool table for the tormach where I work, and I made a point of leaving tools 1-20 blank, so there is no possible way for someone to program a tool height offset unless they pick a tool number above 20 deliberately, as the CAM software we have defaults to lower numbers. From 20 up, the tools are somewhat organized by size, but for the most part there is no organization to it since the tools are always changing. For prototype work it's really difficult to have a setup like you are talking about.

In all honesty, I don't even think that production machine shops organize their tools in this way. The tool numbers are generated when a job is created, and a group of tools that are needed for the job are all set up when the job comes in.

I just re-organized my tool table and am using #1 as the master (Haimer 3D sensor), #2-99 for various types of milling cutters (in no particular order), #100-199 for drill bits, and #200-253 for specials like taps or face mills.

My #100 tool is a 1/4" spotting drill, and I increment up from there for the various drills need tap and clearance holes for standard fasteners, starting with #0 on up to 5/8" or so. After that I've got the fractional drill sizes and I may throw in a few random number or letter sizes as well. I don't have any where near enough drill chucks for all those drills but I want them set aside in the tool table in both SprutCAM and Mach3. Then I can do the CAM with whatever drills are best suited to the job and grab a spare chuck, install the bit, and measure the tool length just before running the job.

Up to now, I've been giving each of the chucks I own a tool number and updating the two tool tables as I need to change bits from one size to another. That takes way too long to make changes and is easy to screw up.

Come to think of it, some of those numbers in the #100-199 range need to be set aside for counterbores and countersings, too.

Like most things in life, it's an ongoing process.

Mike

IIRC, Mach defaults tool 99 to a probe of some sort, so it works well for my 3D taster. The rest... I have the first dozen or so defined as commonly used tools, that often live in the ATC, then just pick numbers from there.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    IIRC, Mach defaults tool 99 to a probe of some sort, so it works well for my 3D taster. The rest... I have the first dozen or so defined as commonly used tools, that often live in the ATC, then just pick numbers from there.
    I hadn't thought of that - it would be a good idea to set aside Tool 99 for an electronic touch probe, since the Tormach/Mach3 probe routines expect it to be in that position. I'm not clear on why the Haimer should be set up there since the Haimer is a manually used tool. Am I missing something?

Mike

I order my tooling in the order I call them. I started out with my face mills, spot/chamfer mill drills, onto my drills, taps, roughers and finishing end mills, boring, slitting saws, etc and so on. I wish I would have left more room in between tool categories holders though, tools add up pretty quick.

Thanks for the feedback folks..

Mine are set up as follows:

1. Haimer
    2-9. open for odd tools I'm programs (like more drills than I have chucks so some are in er20 for that job)
    10-14. drill chucks (have to expand this soon)
    15-19. Face mills
    20. 1/2" spot drill
    21-39. utility tools (chamfer, tap, dovetail)
    40-59. 1/8" tooling
    60-79. 3/16" tooling
    80-99. 1/4" tooling
    100-119. 3/8" tooling
    120-139. 5/16" tooling
    140-159. 1/2" tooling
    160-199. >1/2" (going to cut this down and did everything up 20)
    200-249. <1/8"

Within each group I start with 2fl, 3fl, 4fl. within those it's stub, regular, long, radius, ball, special.

so I know without looking 100 is a 2fl sub rougher 3/8, 85 is a regular 2fl flat end mill etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    Mine are set up as follows:

1. Haimer
    2-9. open for odd tools I'm programs (like more drills than I have chucks so some are in er20 for that job)
    10-14. drill chucks (have to expand this soon)
    15-19. Face mills
    20. 1/2" spot drill
    21-39. utility tools (chamfer, tap, dovetail)
    40-59. 1/8" tooling
    60-79. 3/16" tooling
    80-99. 1/4" tooling
    100-119. 3/8" tooling
    120-139. 5/16" tooling
    140-159. 1/2" tooling
    160-199. >1/2" (going to cut this down and did everything up 20)
    200-249. <1/8"

Within each group I start with 2fl, 3fl, 4fl. within those it's stub, regular, long, radius, ball, special.

so I know without looking 100 is a 2fl sub rougher 3/8, 85 is a regular 2fl flat end mill etc.
    Not to be critical, but that seems like a lot of extra trouble.

I will just number the tools as I need them.

So far the most I have used is 7, and when ever possible, I will use one tool for several operations to avoid tool changes.

The way I see it, when the machine is moving to the M998 position, I'm not making any money.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

What part if not having to measure tool height offsets over and over and not re-numbering for each run seems like trouble? Tools in holders should never be re-measured or re-numbered IMO, it defeats the purpose. If I did mostly 1000 part runs I wouldn't care, but I'm usually running different parts every day. I have 70+ tools in holders that are all used on different production parts and customer parts- re-numbering every day/every other day would have cost me a ridiculous amount of wasted time.

What part if not having to measure tool height offsets over and over and not re-numbering for each run seems like trouble? Tools in holders should never be re-measured or re-numbered IMO, it defeats the purpose. If I did mostly 1000 part runs I wouldn't care, but I'm usually running different parts every day. I have 70+ tools in holders that are all used on different production parts and customer parts- re-numbering every day/every other day would have cost me a ridiculous amount of wasted time.
    I just don't see that.... If you have a proper tool length measurement setup, it takes mere seconds. I have a digital height gauge, and the Tormach surface plate. My typical job uses 6-8 tools, and I can measure those tools, and enter their lengths into the tool table in *maybe* two minutes. I will then run using those tools for the entire day, sometimes two days. So, I've "wasted" two minutes out of an 8 hour day, or less than one half of one percent of my workday. Hardly a "significant amount of wasted time". You're "losing" FAR more than that due to slow rapids, spindle spin-up time, tool change time, etc. Kinda picking the fly poop out of the pepper....

You can also maintain a tool table numbering the tools in any logical manner, then copy/paste from there into a sequentially numbered tool table for each unique job. That eliminates redundant measuring, and reduces the setup time to the time it takes to copy/paste the lengths for the tools actually needed for each job - should be probably 30 seconds or so per job.

There are MANY ways to deal with tool lengths, tool numbering, and maintaining tool length data. There is NO single, "best" way to do it, and each person should find what works best for him/her, based on individual work style and available tools and equipment. Given that Mach3 only allows 254 tools, it's not practical to have a rigid numbering system, as there are more tools than tool numbers, if you count a typical assortment of end mills, drills, center drill, chamfers, face mills, etc.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Having all your tools set to a length if you're working from the top of the vise jaw or another surface that never changes is fine.

And if you anticipate never having to change tool lengths that's fine. BUT to do it the way it's discribed, you would need 250 tool holders. At an average of $35.00 each, that's $8,750.00 worth of tool holders. I guess if you have unlimited finds that's OK, but most of us don't.

I don't like to work up from the top of the vise jaw or the top of the block. I work off the top of the part. If there's material coming off the top od the part, I'll tell the offset thet my set block is 1.0000 plus as much as I want to remove from the top of the block to get to the top of the part. Usually .025 to .050.

I use a Haimer as my edge finder and I use a 1 inch block (see picture) to set tool lengths. I can set 10 tools in 5 minutes or less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SET BLOCK 2.jpeg  
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I like that height setter better than my edge technologies one, what it's it?

I don't follow your logic on up or down from the vice. I set my datum in a logical place and follow it when the part is rotated, moved etc. I use the haimer also. My tools are referenced to the haimer, not my vice. I add a stop if not using soft jaws, ref the part against the stop. all if my fixture plates are refed from my table which is pinned.

I use Mastercam and I like having the tool numbers saved so that I can open a program later and make changes quickly and run the part. In the big shop I program for they use far too many tools to have dedicated holders so I number everything starting with 2 and staying sequential. My home shop I have MUCH less time. I'm not retired and have another 50hr a week job. I break 85hrs every single week and most are over 100 (for the last 4 months especially). I calculate every minute of time savings I can.

I don't have 250 holders. I don't need that many tools in holders. i have a shiddy memory and use my system to make it easy for me to remember tool numbers ESPECIALLY when "manual" machining at the console for 1 off parts. I dont want to stop and measure an offset every time I need a tool not on the machine already.

Like was mentioned before- different strokes for different folks. I didn't tell anyone to use my system, it was offered free of charge as information. The op asked about numbering strategies people use. if you dont use one thats fine. I use mine because it is the one that works best for me. it

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Having all your tools set to a length if you're working from the top of the vise jaw or another surface that never changes is fine.
    What does your fixture datum have to do with tool length offsets? The length offsets are completely unrelated to how you choose to zero the machine for a particular job. Changing the datum for a particular job never requires changing your length offsets.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I like that height setter better than my edge technologies one, what it's it?

Like was mentioned before- different strokes for different folks. I didn't tell anyone to use my system, it was offered free of charge as information. The op asked about numbering strategies people use. if you dont use one thats fine. I use mine because it is the one that works best for me. it
    Mr. Shiddy,

You are absolutely right. Everyone has their own way of doing things. What works for you would most likely work for me as well, but what works for me might not work for you.

I have contacted the supplier where I bought my height setter and he is going to look it up. When he gets bach to me, I'll post it here.

BobCad defaults to using tool 1, thus a bad place for the Haimer, especially with an ATC...

Interesting discussion. Several methods here that I never would have thought of. I, of course, like my system the best. :-)
    I have about 10 holders which stay populated with tools I use on all jobs. When starting a new project, I just select tool #5 for a 1/2" 2fl and everything is configured already. Then I have maybe 5 holders which get the job-specific tools. I keep tool slot #'s assigned for each tool, which may of may not be mounted in a tool holder.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    BobCad defaults to using tool 1, thus a bad place for the Haimer, especially with an ATC...
    Never, ever, ever, ever leave your Haimer in the ATC.

Page 1 of 2 12