586,089 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie- cnc router tooling

Hello
    I have purchased a small cnc router (powered for now by a bosch 1HP router)and am now am looking into the appropriate cutting tools. I will be working in wood and aluminum (primarily engraving, but may be millling some small parts).
    I would like to pick up 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 ball and straight end along with a 60 and 90 degree vBit.
    Can the same tool cut both materials and if not what would the differences be. In other words im not sure how to dinstinguish the difference between metal and wood when I am looking at the tools on line.
    Any help of course is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ken

Rotary cutting tools for metals are typically NOT called router bits, even though a lot of people on CNC zone will call them that. Tools for metals would be referred to as mills or end mills or engraving tools.

Straight Router Bits - Router Bits | MSCDirect.com

Milling | MSCDirect.com

Harvey Tool makes a large assortment of small rotary cutters.
    Find Specialty Carbide End Mills and Cutting Tools at Harvey Tool

Buy carbide tools and they will be fine for wood, aluminum and plastic.

I'd recommend buying bits as you need them. Typically, when you buy a large assortment of bits, a lot of them never get used.

While most woodworking bits will cut aluminum pretty well, tools made specifically for aluminum will do a better job, and probably last a bit longer.

For cutting aluminum with the Colt, you'll probably get best results with a single flute "O" flute bit.

For small bit's, I'd recommend buying 1/8" shank bits from Ebay, where you can get good quality tools for dirt cheap. You'll need to use an adapter or a Presice Bits 1/8" collet, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for setting me straight on the terminology. I Am purchasing a handful of bits with the expectation that they will be abused while in the learning process
    So if a carbide router bit can work on aluminum, although not optimally, will a carbide end mill work on wood? This just makes it easier to find them on eBay as I'd rather not invest in a quality tool till I get everything straight
    Thanks again

Yes, either can be substituted, even though they might not perfect for the job at hand. You would need to be aware of the differences in tool geometries and adjust feeds, speeds and depths of cut accordingly. Tools to cut wood and plastic generally have greater flank and clearance angles to allow for faster feed rates. Tools to cut metals attempt to leave more material on the tool at the cutting edges to hold up to the heat generated when cutting metals.