586,052 active members*
4,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Momus out of 80/20 ?

I'm trying to decide if I should this CNC out of 80/20 and aluminum plates. I have currently version 1.0 but its indoors so plywood works great. but I want to move this to Garage where plywood is not really good idea. I live in FL and the humidity is pretty bad around here 60%-80%. So i was thinking of making it out of aluminum. I'm still in process to think about all of it. but I think I'll give it to go.

Any suggestions ?

There are a number of machines that have been built with metal frames rather than the wood base, including one very nice one in Australia with a significantly extended X axis. The ones I've seen so far have used welded rectangular steel tubing. One advantage of using the tubing rather than an extrusion is that it makes for easy mounting of the X axis motor. If the uppermost piece of tubing (that the X rails mount to) is sized correctly, the motor can be fit in exactly the same position as it would be with the wood base. Using 80/20 might make this a bit more complicated if keeping the belt drive as it exists in the plans. The obvious advantage to 80/20 is that it bolts together and no worries about warping from welding.

-Bob