586,114 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD CAM V25 4 Axis Standard

BobCAD CAM V25 4 Axis Standard

Many BobCAD CAM clients that run a 4 axis have requested to work directly with Solids or STL files. In the past we only offered 4 axis indexing and wrapping so working with solids was just not a reality. BobCAD's V25 4 axis standard now offers 4 axis rotary tool path based off of solids.

So let's say you have a 3D solid that looks like this:

upload photo

Using the 4 Axis Rotary tool paths you have the option to cut along or around the model. You can cut with a Zig, Zig Zag or spiral pattern

picture hosting

The cut model ends up looking like this:

photo hosting

Watch this video to learn more about the work flow: 4 axis leg - adepoalo's library

We have also added a Tool Path Pattern feature. What this allows you to do is create 1 tool path feature or a series of tool path features and make an array or rotation or translation of those tool paths. This is a very useful feature all around, but when it comes to 4 axis is saves huge amounts of time.

Watch this video to learn more about the workflow:

Tool Path Pattern - adepoalo's library

picture hosting
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Machine Templates

aldepoalo,

I tried your steps but I don't have a drop down with various machines. Only the BC Mill. How do I load various machine templates. Also, is this why I don't get 4th axis menu options.

Thanks,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robrea View Post
    aldepoalo,

I tried your steps but I don't have a drop down with various machines. Only the BC Mill. How do I load various machine templates. Also, is this why I don't get 4th axis menu options.

Thanks,

Robert
    My install only has one also. You use the "add" button that is there under the default-current settings.

Dod you mean if you right clcik a "Machine setup" in the tree that you dont have an "index group" or a "wrapping group" listed in there?

4th axis

Good morning Burrman,

I only have one machine choice. BC_Mill. Where do I load other machines, including a BC_Mill_4th_Axis. They don't show for me.

Then, I think without loading a 4th Axis machine, when aldepoalo moves to machine setup, he has 4th axis milling. I don't even though I am licensed for it.

I do have index group and wrapping. Just not 4th axis as the video shows.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robrea View Post
    Good morning Burrman,

I only have one machine choice. BC_Mill. Where do I load other machines, including a BC_Mill_4th_Axis. They don't show for me.

Then, I think without loading a 4th Axis machine, when aldepoalo moves to machine setup, he has 4th axis milling. I don't even though I am licensed for it.

I do have index group and wrapping. Just not 4th axis as the video shows.

Robert
    If you go to "Default-current settings" where that machine is, there is an "Add" button. There is also the selection for 4th axis machine in that config. You could just click the "modify" button for the current, existing machine and select the 4th axis option.

THe index group and wrapping group put the system into 4th axis mode.

Burrman,

I will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks,