586,096 active members*
3,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool What do I need for milling?

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 9" Harrison lathe and I want to carry out some milling on it but not sure what I need as I am also new to general machining

I have just purchased a vertical slide but I still need to get a lathe vice and holding bolts for it.

However for the cutting side of things I have not got a clue, can you please help

What type of Arbour do I need?
    Collects?
    Etc etc

Your help for a newbie would be very much appreciated

Quick and dirty would be to chuck the end mill in the three jaw chuck. The usual runout in 3 jaw chucks means that this isn't often acceptable as it wears the end mill fast. But it is possible and probably done more than many would like to admit to.

The next option is to get a morse taper to ER collet assembly. A good one should have much better control over run out.

I'm assuming you have a vertical slide with T-Slots, if so some operations can be done by bolting the part to the slide with "T" bolts.

I'd like to suggest getting some basic shop manuals to help out with specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgrallying View Post
    Hi,

I have recently purchased a 9" Harrison lathe and I want to carry out some milling on it but not sure what I need as I am also new to general machining

I have just purchased a vertical slide but I still need to get a lathe vice and holding bolts for it.

However for the cutting side of things I have not got a clue, can you please help

What type of Arbour do I need?
    Collects?
    Etc etc

Your help for a newbie would be very much appreciated