586,075 active members*
3,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VM2 - Mold Making - Opinions needed

VM2 - Mold Making - Opinions needed

I am in the hunt for a new mill for my shop, and the Haas VM2 would fit our needs perfectly. We are a mold making shop, plastic injection and die cast. I would like to get opinions of anyone that has the Mold Making series. What kind of tolerances are you able to hold and what surface finishes are you getting.

Thanks ahead for yor help.

What a terrible (lack of) response for your question. :bs:
    I bought this machine in Dec of last year. I don't do mold work so no help on that, but I have been getting a great finish. Everything I do is Alum and now it all gets anodized. So good results on that front.
    I went with that model because it ended up being cheaper to get the same options on a standard VF2. Plus I believe the Y is a bit longer.
    Love the 12,000 direct spindle.
    Gary

We have a VM-2 but I didn't answer because we also don't do mold work. I've seen long extensions and long tools used in that work and we don't do that so my surface finish answers won't help. We do have a VF-2ss and I haven't noticed any real noticable differences but we'd have to compare after sticking long tools on both.
    I am surprised the Haas tech guys haven't chimed in.

What type of job do you run on a VM-2 vs a VF-2SS?

I don't run anything in large enough quantity to fully utilize the faster rapid of a VF-2SS. However, I machine mostly aluminum so the 12k spindle is quite handy. In the back of my mind I've always wondered if I should have gotten a VM-2 instead.

Theoretically, with all things equal, the finer ball screw pitch should give a better finish right? But when does that happen? All the time, or only when running at a slower feed, or only when running at a faster feed?

We make surgical instruments and prototype implants on both our VM-2 and our VF-2ss. We needed more capacity. We were hoping for better finish but using identical programs in both machines (did this twice only) we could see a marginal difference. Very slight. Could also have been due to the age of the VF-2ss (2006) versus the VM-2 (2011).
    I do see a reduction in noise when taking a heavy cut which might translate into a beefier machine that is able to go faster but speed is less important to us than minimizing scrap (very small quantities but a lot of items).

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    We have a VM-2 but I didn't answer because we also don't do mold work. I've seen long extensions and long tools used in that work and we don't do that so my surface finish answers won't help. We do have a VF-2ss and I haven't noticed any real noticable differences but we'd have to compare after sticking long tools on both.
    I am surprised the Haas tech guys haven't chimed in.
    Although the Haas techs post here, I'm not sure that they want to be just "Haas Fan Boys." I truly think they want to help with issues, but not promote the machines like they are sales people.

I respect the way they are helping people out and sometimes arbitrating issues.

Kudos to them. Let's get actual owners to evaluate the actual machines.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    We make surgical instruments and prototype implants on both our VM-2 and our VF-2ss. We needed more capacity. We were hoping for better finish but using identical programs in both machines (did this twice only) we could see a marginal difference. Very slight. Could also have been due to the age of the VF-2ss (2006) versus the VM-2 (2011).
    I do see a reduction in noise when taking a heavy cut which might translate into a beefier machine that is able to go faster but speed is less important to us than minimizing scrap (very small quantities but a lot of items).

Interesting. I would have figured it would be much more noticeable...especially since the 2011 was a newer design all around and supposed to be much more rigid than the older machines.
    Tim

We use a VM2 and VM3. As far as tolerances, we can hold +-.0004 without too much effort but there is always a small amount of variability. Make sure you get the probing system from Renishaw, it's invaluable. Surface finish is not as good as our Roku machine which provides excellent finish. I'd recommend through-spindle coolant as well if you're doing a lot of drilling which you most likely will be and the 12000 RPM Spindle. I've used 8" long tooling on the machine before for some really big and deep molds, surface finish was good, but machining time was about 2 days for one side...

I have been working with a VM3 getting +/-0.00025 with a 0.093 extended length carbide end mill in 6061.

I work for a mold shop and we use a VF2 with a 15K spindle for machining abrasive materials. For extended 15K use we don't use coolant and equipped ours with an aftermarket chiller but that may be overkill for general mold work. A friend's shop uses a couple of larger Haas mills and perform all their base work, tool steel roughing and hard finishing.

In a nutshell I'd say it's a decent fit for general mold work and not if everything you do is super high tolerance. The machines are easy to service and parts are relatively cheap compared to the likes of Makino and OKK. Our local dealer has always given us superb service with their Haas line. The controls are easy to learn. They are not in the same league as higher end machines but the price tags seems to be 1/3 to 1/2 of a high end machine.

If I were to buy a 30" X travel machine for my shop, I'd probably opt for the model with 20" in Y.
    NX 10.0.3

we started using the vm,s when they came out they work just fine
    but they won't take big cuts. Stopped the spindle many times at first.
    we were used to okuma's.Okuma's horse's must be draft horses and Haas's
    are just pony's. SOoooo if you buy a Haas you won't be doing any high feed milling
    above a inch and a half cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by a1diesinker View Post
    we started using the vm,s when they came out they work just fine but they won't take big cuts. Stopped the spindle many times at first. we were used to okuma's.Okuma's horse's must be draft horses and Haas's are just pony's. SOoooo if you buy a Haas you won't be doing any high feed milling above a inch and a half cutter.
    Perhaps this should be a new thread but I just watched a demo cut of a small mori seiki roughing a cavity at 375 ipm with a .500" dia solid hf cutter. The doc was only .008" but the program ran for 48 minutes whereas the old program was taking almost 4 hours. This machine is not very rigid at all; it's a small, high speed, linear way machine and when it was first purchased they unsuccessfully tried to take heavy cuts. I wonder if a VF2 could do hf cutting with a 2" cutter albeit with a smaller doc but maintaining the proper chip load?
    NX 10.0.3

been using high feed cutters for years they are great for roughing
    for smaller cutters use Millstars solid carbide
    1/4 .005 doc 150 to 200ipm last all day
    for larger cuts Wida's triangular double sided 6 cutting edges
    2" .06 doc 100 to 150 ipm (not in a Haas) ok maybe if its a cat 50
    big high feed cutters use horsepower lots of it