586,119 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3 versus Super X3 for conversion

X3 versus Super X3 for conversion

Two questions. Grizzly has listed under their specs the X3 motor can do 3750 rpms. They then list the ranges of 0-1000 and 0-2000 rpms. Which is it? If the motor can do 3750 rpms, would that be better suited for a CNC conversion than the Super which is listed as 2000 rpms? I plan on converting which ever one I buy and it kinda of seems like a waste of time and money on the Super X3 since a lot of the features would be pointless after conversion. Features such as the tapping function, quill depth readout, and tilting head would be unused. The only thing that would be used is the spindle speed readout and that could be added to a X3 later anyways with a VFD controller. Does my logic make sense? Thanks,

Josh

The "MOTOR" is a 3750rpm motor. The Spindle is a 0-1000 / 0-2000 rpm spindle... The spindle is geared to run slower than the acutal motor...
    Nathan

That is what I thought. Thanks,

Josh

According to the spindle speeds you quote and the Griz manual I downloaded the speeds appear to the be the result of gearing down. As others have pointed out it isn't a matter of which as they are specs for two differrent things.

As to your logic there is a good reason to think as you do. However there are other issues that may not be apparent. One is that is you ever have the intention of doing amixture of manual and CNC work the tilting head could come in handy. In fact it could be handy for even is you use the conversion nearly 100% for CNC work. That depening on your interest of course.

Personally I'm hoping to stop buy the Griz showroom after Cabin Fever to take a peak. In some ways the machine appears to be to small to invest alot of time and effort into CNCing it. Plus the machine appears to be less than ideal for machining steel and harder metals. The other side of the coin of course is cost and space, niether of which is easy to come buy here. The other reality is that there are or have been other importers of the X3, if CNC'ing is the goal then my point of view is to get the cheapest castiron kit you cna get.

Thanks
    Dave

Any more news about pros/cons on buying a Super X3 over the standard X3 with regards to cnc conversion, eg any extra flex due to swiveling head, or reduced capability with the slightly lower spindle speed (1750 vs 2000)?

Would the available kits/plans for the X3 fit the Super X3?

Thanks
    Adam

I would like to know where you can buy or even see a super X3.

Right now you have to order one direct from Sieg...

In the UK the standard X3 is £815 + £60 delivery from Arc Euro, and I am in contact with someone who is importing the Super X3 for £1100 +delivery.

I have noticed that the Super X3 has a 1000W motor vs the 600W standard X3 (I assume this is because the Super doesn't have multiple gear ratios....).

Any opinions on advantages/disadvantages of the M3 vs R8 spindle?
    (Most of my existing tooling is for M2, so I would need to use an adaptor either way, and the R8 spindle machine is a little cheaper....)

Alas
    i have an r8 spindle machine. i went for r8 because it's eaiser to get r8 tooling
    than mt stuff and there's also a wider veriety of tooling
    most engineering suppliers stock r8 so you can get stuff off the shelf (collets etc)
    but mt2/3 tooling is a little scarce. maybe this is a geographical thing and you may
    not find this in your area.
    btw with an r8/mt adaptor you can run your mt tooling in an r8 spindle.
    mike

Thanks Mike, that is pretty much what I thought, I have seen R8 to M2 adaptors, and M3 to M2 sleeves on Ebay, but didn't know if there would be any differences in tool height/table clearance with either adaptor. Yes, R8 seems to be more available, and requires a bit less force to remove the tooling......

generaly there's not much difference in tool/table height , but one thing i would suggest is to be carefull and only buy branded r8 tooling i mention this as i've had
    questionable quality collets (through a local supplier,their budget range stuff)
    the E-Bay stuff might be okay but....

Mike, is your machine an X3 or Super X3? If so, did you have any problems with the locating pin in the spindle? (I have read a few threads where people have had to perform a bit of grinding to get their tooling to fit properly, was wondering if Sieg had corrected this...)

Any more opinions on the question of whether the Super X3 is as suitable for cnc conversion, or whether the extra 400watts is worth an extra £300???

The guy over at mini-lathe fixed the problem with tooling sticking, His problem wasnt with the pin but the bore size in the end.
    http://www.mini-lathe.com/X3_mill/sp...X3_spindle.htm

I posted that in this thread with other useful links:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17315

It may have changed where it is actually the locating pin now that is problematic.

Jon

as i have stated in other threads in benchtop mills forum the 24mm bore is the problem
    a slight polish of the collet dose the trick (again ref to quality of collets)
    some folks may have problems with the pin,but mine was the bore
    btw its a plain x3 from arc eurotrade.
    have you seen their conversion re-prints from mew?
    as for motor power v cost ... the extra 300 quid takes you into bigger machines
    chester/warco etc and that is a whole new set of questions(probably come from the
    same scource tho)
    mike

By looking at Sieg's site, the "super" version of the X3 has a pivoting head as well as a larger motor... :cheers:

I would agree with this. Seems like the Chinese have recently cotton on and are producing very low cost tooling that looks like the real thing but has the tolerences of a rusty nail. If it's very cheap it's probably very crap. It's a false economy. An R8 tool holder for USD 13.00 has got to be questionable.

Eastern European tooling seems to be reasonable quality at an affordable price.

At least with a brand name if you are not happy you know not to buy there again. The plus side is the manufacturer knows this also.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE JEFFERS
    generaly there's not much difference in tool/table height , but one thing i would suggest is to be carefull and only buy branded r8 tooling i mention this as i've had
    questionable quality collets (through a local supplier,their budget range stuff)
    the E-Bay stuff might be okay but....